Credit Evaluations

Undergraduate evaluations are done by the University Registrar's Office.

Most college level courses taken fall term 2010 or after at regionally accredited institutions across the United States will be transferable to Miami University if the student earns a grade of D- or better. Credit earned on a pass/fail basis, credit/no-credit basis, etc., is also transferable if it can be determined the student earned a C or better. Courses taken prior to fall term 2010 are accepted for transfer credit from non-Ohio regionally accredited institutions for grades of C or better. All transferred credit is posted on the student's Miami record without grade.

Some academic courses may not meet the division's general education or department requirements. In that case, the department in which the course is listed will determine its comparability. A course which is not applicable for general education and/or department requirements will transfer as a free elective so long as the course may count in the total credits required for the degree. This does not supersede divisional limits on free electives.

Students who have attended U.S. institutions not fully accredited by a regional accrediting agency must validate their previous coursework by earning 32 semester credits with a 2.00 cumulative average at Miami. The credit for any grade reported as a D- or better will be given upon completion of the 32 hours. Credit earned for any grade reported as a D- or better at two-year institutions not fully accredited will be accepted on a provisional basis and must be validated by earning 32 semester credits with a 2.00 cumulative average at Miami. All credits earned at two-year institutions can transfer only as lower division (100 and 200 level) credit, except that a course taken at the lower division level which bears the same title as an upper division course at Miami will be considered equivalent if validated by the division and/or department in which the course has applicability.

Students who earn credit at institutions outside the United States must provide (in addition to their academic records) course descriptions or course syllabi that include a list of required reading for the course, number of class hours required in each course, and the length of the academic term(s) when enrolled. Provide course description or syllabi in the English language at least 1 month before the semester begins, if offered admission. Credit can be transferred only for studies completed at a recognized degree-granting institution. These credits are evaluated by the University Registrar's Office in consultation with the Office of Admission and Academic Divisions.

Students who intend to study abroad are expected to consult with the Office of International Education in advance of their departure to make certain that the credits earned will transfer to Miami University.

Acceptance of extra-institutional or nontraditional credit, such as credit by examination, extension credit, correspondence credit, and armed forces credit, is limited to 32 semester hours. Only 20 of the 32 hours may be in correspondence work and in extension work from other institutions.

You can receive credit for courses sponsored by the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Educational Support (DANTES) program that are college level and completed with satisfactory final examinations. Credit earned through non-collegiate sponsored instruction, evaluated by the American Council on Education (listed in the National Guide), may be accepted only with approval of the appropriate academic department.

Whenever possible, transfer credits are assigned corresponding Miami course numbers. The appropriate Miami department determines where credit applies. Courses that do not fulfill the Miami Plan for Liberal Education, divisional requirements, or major requirements transfer as free electives.

Back to top