International Student Admission

Non-immigrant students from other countries are encouraged to apply for admission to graduate study.

Information and application forms for prospective international graduate students are available online at:

and from:

Graduate School
102 Roudebush Hall
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056 USA
Phone: 513-529-3734
Fax: 513-529-3762

Required Documents

Submit the following to the Graduate School:

  • A completed application form with the required nonrefundable application fee. Your application cannot be processed until the application fee is received.
  • Two official transcripts or certified true copies of complete academic records showing all courses completed and grades received at each postsecondary school attended. All academic records not originally issued in English by the school must be submitted in the original language with a certified literal (not interpretive) English translation. Academic records must list all courses taken, the grades received in these courses, and the academic term(s) and year(s) when these courses were taken.
  • Certification that an undergraduate degree has been or is about to be awarded. Evidence that a university degree at least equivalent to an American bachelor's degree has been or is about to be earned must be submitted.
  • Proof of English language ability sufficient to undertake a full course of graduate study. See the following section "English Language Requirements."
  • A completed International Graduate Student Financial Statement form with supporting documentation from a bank or other financial institution.
  • A completed Miami University Medical Form for International Graduate Students.
  • Additional documents may be required by your department. Please correspond directly with your major department to request information about specific departmental admission requirements.

English Language Requirements

If you are not from a country where English is the native language or if you will not have earned a university degree from an academic institution in a country where English is the native language, proof of English language proficiency is also required. In most cases, applicants will need to present satisfactory scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Information concerning these examinations and the location of test centers can be obtained online at for the TOEFL or at for the IELTS. For information, about minimal TOEFL and IELTS score requirements and acceptable alternatives to the TOEFL or IELTS, visit

Please note that a graduate assistant or teaching associate is not assigned significant instructional responsibilities (including laboratory supervision) in the first year of study (i.e., you can assist a faculty member, senior graduate assistant, or teaching associate in managing a class or laboratory section, but you cannot be given lead or principal responsibility for a class, discussion, or laboratory section). Any exception to this policy must have prior approval of the department chair or program director, the divisional dean, and the dean of the Graduate School.

After you are admitted and on campus (prior to class registration), you must take an examination in the use of English administered by Miami's English department. If this test indicates that you need additional instruction in English, you must register for ENG 119 (specially designated for graduate students) in your first term of study, which may require that you reduce your academic course load until it is determined that your English proficiency is adequate to pursue a full course of study.

In addition, if you are assigned instructional responsibilities (including laboratory supervision) as a teaching associate or graduate assistant, you are required by Ohio state law to demonstrate English-speaking proficiency. After arrival on campus, you may be required to take a test that assesses your proficiency in spoken English.

Back to top