Non-degree Status

If you would like to take graduate-level courses, but do not intend to pursue a graduate degree, you can apply for admission with “continuing non-degree graduate status.” After you are admitted, you can earn an unlimited number of graduate hours within an indefinite period of time; however only twelve hours may be applied to a degree program..

To apply for admission, submit to the Graduate School:

  • Completed admission application form;
  • Nonrefundable application fee.

If you are admitted as a non-degree student, you will not be able to enroll in certain courses if the department or program has limited enrollment; students who have been admitted to a degree-granting program have first priority. Check with the department about enrollment restrictions. If you have been denied regular or conditional admission to a degree program, you can enroll in courses in that department as a non-degree student only if the department grants permission. If you take courses as a non-degree student after you have been denied admission as a degree student, these courses cannot be applied to a future degree program.

If you are a non-degree student (and have not previously applied for degree admission) and desire admission to a degree program, you must apply for admission and meet Graduate School and departmental standards for admission. No more than twelve of the most recent graduate hours earned with non-degree status can be applied toward a graduate degree and then only with the approval of the department. All twelve hours are subject to normal time limitations for credit toward a degree.

Back to top