Registration and Graduate Credit

Before registering for courses, consult your adviser to make sure that you are meeting your degree requirements.

Minimum and Maximum Registration

The maximum number of graduate credit hours that a graduate student who does not hold an assistantship can register for in a regular semester is 15. Graduate students not holding an assistantship are limited to no more than nine credit hours per single summer term. Students with a need to exceed the maximum graduate credit hour limits must file a petition with the Dean of the Graduate School prior to the first day of the semester.

Student who are employed full time are strongly encouraged to keep their enrollment at six credit hours or less during a semester.

Graduate assistants, doctoral associates, and teaching associates with duties of 18 to 20 hours per week must register for at least 9 graduate semester hours and may register for as many as 15 total (undergraduate and graduate) hours per semester.

Modified graduate assistants with duties of eight hours per week must register for at least 9 graduate credit hours per semester and may register for as many as 15 total (undergraduate and graduate) hours.

Grant-in-aid recipients must register for at least 9 graduate hours during each semester and must register for six graduate hours in a single summer term or 12 graduate hours in more than one summer term.

A student holding a dissertation scholarship must register for at least 9 graduate semester hours and may register for as many as 15 hours of graduate credit per semester.

Change of Status or Program

Any change of graduate standing, such as moving from non-degree to degree status, must be approved by your major department or division and the Graduate School. To change from continuing non-degree graduate status to regular or conditional standing, you must reapply to the Graduate School.

Students with a grade point average below 3.00 who wish to change majors and/or degree programs must have approval of the Student Petitions Committee of the Graduate Council.

Transfer Credit

Credit for grades of B or better earned at other accredited graduate schools may be applied toward a graduate degree at Miami University. Transfer credit will not be granted for grades of B- or less. “Credit” or “pass” grades are accepted only if approved by the Student Petitions Committee of Graduate Council.

Extension or correspondence work is not accepted for credit.

Transferred courses may not exceed the age limit of five years for the master’s degree and seven years for the doctorate.

To transfer credit, first obtain an official transcript from your other institution (if your adviser does not already have one), and then consult with your adviser. If transfer of credit is recommended, your adviser will send a memorandum of recommendation, with your transcript, to the Graduate School. The dean of the Graduate School will approve your transfer of credit if the above criteria are met, and the Registrar’s office will post the transferred credit to your Miami record. Grades of transferred credit are not posted to a Miami record or counted in a grade point average.

Back to top