Bachelor of Science | College of Education, Health and Society
What is Sport Leadership and Management?
Sport Leadership and Management (SLAM) prepares students to succeed in leadership positions in the sport industry (recreational to professional, youth to adult) by providing them with knowledge and skills to critically analyze and innovatively engage in the business and culture of sport. Students select ONE
concentration area within SLAM (Sport Management, Coaching, Sport Journalism, or Sport Media).
What are the features of Miami’s program?
Unique program of study
The SLAM program provides students with important managerial knowledge, but also critical psychosocial, socio-cultural, and developmental knowledge about sport participation to allow them to understand and provide innovative leadership related to key issues in sport.
The sport business industry is one of the largest and fastest growing industries in the United States. Sport provides many increasingly diverse career opportunities, and Miami's job placement rate is strong, thanks in part to the well-rounded education and practical experience students receive in a required practicum experience.
What are the special admission requirements, if any?
Students enroll in the Department of Kinesiology and Health (KNH) and are admitted directly into the Sport Leadership and Management major with a selected concentration area (Sport Management, Coaching, Sport Journalism, or Sport Media).
What courses would I take?
Students take substantial coursework representing conceptual and disciplinary knowledge in sport, with an emphasis on sport leadership throughout the curriculum. There is additional coursework representing related disciplinary knowledge in kinesiology and health and interdisciplinary knowledge such as business, communication, business writing, or entrepreneurship.
What can I do with this major?
The Sport Management concentration is for students who seek positions that may include the following:
- sport administrators at various levels (from youth to elite sport) and in various contexts (from community-based recreational sport to professional sport)
- high school or university athletic directors
- marketing directors for intercollegiate athletic programs or conference offices, governing bodies, or professional sport
- fund raising or ticket sales administrators
- sport facility managers
- sales representatives for sporting goods companies
- corporate or organizational administrators of sporting event
The Coaching concentration is for students who seek positions that may include the following:
- coaching in interscholastic, collegiate, and professional sport
- coaching with national governing bodies of Olympic sports
- coaching education specialists in national and state organizations/associations
The Sport Journalism concentration is for students who seek positions that may include the following:
- print journalists, such as newspaper or sport magazines
- sport information directors in intercollegiate athletic programs
- public/community relations with professional sport teams
- broadcast journalists in radio or television
The Sport Media concentration is for students who seek positions that may include the following:
- media experts for college, professional, or national governing body sport programs
- sport media relations
- digital video and audio/web design experts for sport programs
- public relations and promotion specialists for sport organizations or corporation
The program also serves as an excellent foundation for students who wish to pursue advanced degrees in such areas as sport marketing, sport administration, sport psychology/sociology, recreation and leisure, and sport law.
Who can I contact for more information?
Department of Kinesiology and Health
106 Phillips Hall
Oxford, OH 45056