You are encouraged to take the following action:
- Speak out when jokes or comments are made that are hateful or demean others because of race, religion, disability, ethnic/national origin, gender, or sexual orientation.
- Ask yourself if you use derogatory, degrading, or offensive terms in describing others and if you avoid people who are different from yourself.
- If you are the victim of a harassing or nuisance phone call, save the e-mail message or voice mail message. Report the incident to police immediately.
- Educate yourself on the psychology of hate. Statistics indicate that most hate callers are white males under the age of 22 with low self-esteem. The motivation is typically a feeling of disenfranchisement.
- Wear or display the No-Hate logo.
Remember that hate crimes and bias-related incidents can and do occur everywhere, but the difference is how communities respond. And in this community, silence about such situations is not acceptable.