Funding Sources

The following is a partial list of support for Graduate Student Professional Activities:

1. The Graduate Student’s Achievement Fund:

A committee chaired by the Associate Dean for Admissions and Minority Student Affairs administers a fund which is used to recognize significant achievement in any research or creative activity which has been recognized by some external (to the home department) organization.

2. Dissertation Research Support:

The Dean of the Graduate School will consider requests for unusual expenses associated with a student’s research for the doctoral dissertation. The Graduate School does not have an application form, but you should include, with your letter of application, a brief description of your dissertation project, a tentative budget and a budget explanation. A supporting letter from your dissertation supervisor should also accompany the request. Awards will not exceed $600, and will often be less, depending on the demand. Requests for this special funding must be made by November 1- (Fall round) and April 1- (Spring round).

3. Graduate Student Association Travel Assistance Fund:

The GSA Travel Assistance Fund is designed to reimburse graduate students for travel, lodging, and conference fees to meetings, conventions, conferences, and workshops sponsored by professional organizations. The fund is administered by the Graduate Student Association. Application forms and guidelines are available in the Graduate School Office, 102 Roudebush Hall. Funding is available each term (fall, spring, summer) and deadlines for each round of funding are two weeks prior to the end of that term. Virtually everyone who applies, and who meets the criteria, will receive some amount of funding. Maximum funding is $300 per year. For further clarification or questions you may contact the GSA at

4. Psychology Graduate Enrichment Fund:

The Psychology Graduate Enrichment Fund supports travel to professional conferences and final reproductions of theses and dissertations. See the psychology department’s Administrative Assistant for information about necessary paperwork. Make sure your requests conform with the following guidelines:

Travel: Travel to present at regional, national and international professional conferences. Up to $250 per trip to cover travel, lodging and registration expenses. For joint papers, travel funds will ordinarily be awarded to the presenter only. Maximum per individual is $500 in any one year.

Thesis Dissertations/Copying and Binding:  Cost for copying and binding up to three copies of your thesis or dissertation. Maximum per thesis or dissertation is $75.

5. Small Grants:

The Graduate Enrichment Fund also supports a small grants program. Application for support of research and professional development activities can be made to the Graduate Committee. It is expected that other sources of funding will be actively pursued before requesting a small grant from the department. Application deadlines are in September, November and January and April. See the Graduate secretary for specific deadline dates and application forms.

6. Professional Development:

Psychology Small Grants supports research for professional development. Applications can be from the Graduate secretary. Applications are reviewed in September, November, January and April. The Department asks that you seek other sources of funding first (and state these sources in your application). Look at the bulletin board in the student lounge for other sources in funding.

7. Teaching:

The College of Arts and Science has University Grants for graduate holders to improve teaching. Proposals are accepted in September, February and April. Contact Milton Cox at 529-6648 for more details and specific dates. Support may be as much as $300.

8. Challenge Grant support:

The Challenge Grant will give $100.00 to any clinical student giving a paper presentation–this includes paper presentations given in the summer. Requests need to come with documentation of expenses and receipts in order to be reimbursed.

9. Miscellaneous:

Psychology Small Grants support financial needs outside the above categories.

10. Outside the department:

Many fellowships, scholarships, grants, and dissertation awards are available to graduate students, and many of these receive few applications and thus are very accessible.  NSF, AAUW, ODMH, the Woodrow Wilson Foundation, and Guggenheim are only a few.  Contact OARS to receive instructions about how to access the COS database in order to receive announcements about all relevant sources of graduate student support.