exterior of alumni hall with redbud tree in bloom

Student Achievement Data for Interior Design

AY 2013/14

Job Placement Rates[1]  A recent survey of May 2013 and December 2013 ID Program graduates indicates that 83% had secured full-time, professional employment in a field related to interior design and architecture since their graduation date.

  • 80% of the May 2013 graduates secured employment within 10 months of their graduation
  • 100% of the December 2013 graduates secured employment within 15 months of their graduation
  • Some of the employing firms include Elizabeth Cole Design (Houston, TX), Gensler (New York City, NY), HOK (Chicago, IL), Miami University, Planning, Architecture, and Engineering (Oxford, OH), WD Partners (Dublin, OH)

Acceptance into Graduate Programs[2]  100% of students from the May 2014 graduating class who applied to graduate school were accepted.

Retention/Attrition[3]

  • 4th Year ID Class: 100% of the students in the 2013/14 Fourth Year ID Class continued from the previous 3rd year (100% retention/0% attrition rate).
  • 3rd Year ID Class: 100% of the students in the 2013/14 Third Year ID Class continued from the previous 2nd year (100% retention/0% attrition rate).
  • 2nd Year ID Class
    • 89% of the students in the 2013/14 Second Year Class continued from the 1st year (89% retention rate).
    • Two students transferred to other majors within the university (11% attrition rate for the ID program; 0% attrition rate within the university). 
    • One student transferred into the ID Program from the Architecture Program
    • 1st Year ID Class: Although not official since the AY2014/15 term has not yet begun, 100% of the students from the 2013/14 First Year ID Class have registered for fall 2014/15 program courses as ID majors (100% retention/0% attrition rate).

Graduation Rates[4]  92% of the 2013-14 Fourth Year Interior Design class was awarded a
BFA in interior design. Other related statistics for the 2013-14 Fourth Year ID class:

  • 58% of the graduates earned their degree within 4 years of declaring the interior design major
  • 42% of the graduates earned their degree within 5 years (40% of these completed their work over 8 semesters; the other 60% completed the work over 9 semesters).
  • 86% of students that began the interior design program in their 1st semester at Miami graduated in 4 years.

[1] Data based on analysis of student transcripts from AY2012/13 and AY2013/14.

[2] Data based on analysis of survey of May 2013 and December 2013 graduates of the ID Program (survey response rate: 53%) and analysis of survey of May 2014 graduating seniors (survey response rate: 46%).

[3] Data based on analysis of survey of May 2013 and December 2013 graduates of the ID Program. Survey response rate: 53%.

[4] Data based on analysis of student transcripts from AY2012/13 and AY2013/14.