Professor and Chair
- Campus: Oxford
- Office: 2053C
- Phone: 513.529.1560
- Email: email@example.com
- M 11:30 - 1:00pm
- T 9:00-10:00am
- W 1:30 - 2:30pm
- Curriculum Vita[PDF]*
* Accessible version of PDF available upon request.
- PhD, Oklahoma State University, Finance, 1996
- BBA, Harding University, Economics, 1991
Academic & Professional Experience
- Professor and Department Chair, Miami University, 2018 - Present
- Department Chair, University of Tulsa, 2016-2018
- Bill G. Blair Professor, University of Tulsa, 2015-2018
- Williams Company Professor, Oklahoma State University, 2012-2015
- Associate Professor of Finance, Oklahoma State University, 2004-2012
- Assistant Professor of Finance, Florida Atlantic University, 1998-2004
- Assistant Professor of Finance, Grand Canyon University, 1996-1998
- “Determinants of Capital Structure Complexity” with Svetlana Orlova and Li Sun, Journal of Economics and Business, forthcoming
- “Environmental Performance and Corporate Cash Holdings” with Li Sun, Applied Economic Letters.
- “Stock Price Crash Risk and CEO Power: Firm-Level Analysis, with Grace Johnson and Li Sun, Research in International Business and Finance, Vol. 51, January 2020.
- “Managerial Ability and Bond Rating Changes” with Kris Kemper and Li Sun, Financial Markets, Institutions, & Instruments, Vol. 28, Issue 5, 2019, 381-401
- “Geographic Distance and Goodwill Impairment” with Li Sun, International Journal of Accounting and Information Management, Vol. 27, Issue 4, 2019, 547-572.
- “CEO Power and Corporate Social Responsibility” with Li Sun, American Journal of Business, Vol. 34, No. 2, 2019, 93-115.
- "Diversification Discount and Investor Sentiment" with Subramanian R. Iyer and Ali Nejadmalayeri, North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Vol. 42, November 2017, 218-236.
- "Off-Track: The Disappearance of Tracking Stocks" with Travis Davidson, Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Vol. 26, Issue 4, Fall 2014, 98-105.
- "Pension Conversion, Termination, and Wealth Transfers" with Stephen Treanor Journal of Risk and Insurance, Vol. 81, Issue 1, March 2014, 177-198.
- "Foreign Exchange Exposure of 'Domestic' Corporations" with Raj Aggarwal Journal of International Money and Finance, Vol. 29, No. 8, December 2010, 1619-1636.
- "Financial System Size in Transition Economies: The Effect of Legal Origin" with James E. McNulty, Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking Vol. 40, No. 6, September 2008, 1263-1280.
- "Performance Comparison Between Exchange-Traded Funds and Closed-End Country Funds" with Jeff Madura and Oliver Schnusenberg, Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money, Vol. 16, No. 2, April 2006, 104-122.
- "Follow-on Offerings," with Jarrod Johnston and Jeff Madura, Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol. 28, Issue 1, 2004, 251-264.
- "Sources of Hidden Value and Risk within Tracking Stock," with Jeff Madura, Financial Management, Vol. 31, Issue 3 (Autumn), 2002, 91-109.
- "The Performance of Privatized Firms in the Czech Republic," Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol. 26, April 2002, 621-649.
- "Short-Run Effects of Privatization on Operating Performance in the Czech Republic," Journal of Financial Research, Vol. 24, No. 1, Spring 2001, 119-131.
- "Agency Cost Reduction Using Interest Rate Swaps: An Empirical Test," with John Wingender, Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol. 24, September 2000, 1419-1431.
Joel Harper joined Miami University in 2018 as the department chair. Prior to coming to Miami, Dr. Harper served on the faculty of the University of Tulsa, Oklahoma State University, and Florida Atlantic University. Dr. Harper earned his Ph.D. in Finance at Oklahoma State University and is also a CFA Charterholder. He served on the board and as president of the South Florida Society of Financial Analysts and is an active member/volunteer in the CFA Institute.
Dr. Harper has over twenty-five publications, including articles in the Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of Risk and Insurance, and Financial Management. His research interests include financial market development and pension plan design and investment.
- FIN 303 G MW 10:05AM-11:25AM,FSB 2037