Learn to Skate Group Lesson Program
The Goggin Ice Center offers a complete recreational skating program with classes for all ages and abilities. Our Learn to Skate classes follow the US Figure Skating Basic Skills Program. Skaters earn level certification through a final skills test at the end of each 6-week session. Classes are offered weekly during multiple sessions in the year.
|Session 1||Session 2||Session 3||Session 4||Session 5|
|Session Dates||September 7–October 14, 2016||October 26–December 10, 2016||January 4–February 18, 2017||March 1–April 15, 2017||June 16–July 21, 2016|
|Registration Deadline||September 5, 2016||October 24, 2016||January 2, 2017||February 27, 2017||June 14, 2017|
- $84 for a 6 week session–includes skate rental.
- Lessons are 45 minutes for all levels.
- All skaters receive membership to US Figure Skating with their registration and will receive a record book for testing and patches for completing levels.
- All skaters will receive 2 free public skating passes for additional practice.
- Helmets are REQUIRED for ALL TOT classes and skaters under 6. Helmets are strongly encouraged for all beginner skaters. (Bike helmets work just fine!)
- Refunds are given for medical reasons only. Inclement weather does not cancel classes unless the University is closed.
- Sessions are not prorated at the time of registration.
- Sibling and multi-day discounts available. Call for information.
- Refer a friend and you BOTH receive a $10 registration discount.
- Learn to Skate questions? Contact Cassandra MacDonald
TOT 1, 2, & 3
All Tots must wear helmets on the ice. Instruction for 3-5 years old. Focus is on learning to fall and recover correctly. Balance, self confidence, and basic skating fundamentals are addressed. A beginner who has never skated before belongs in Tot I.
For the skater who has completed Tot 1 or Basic 1 and wants to get involved with our hockey programs. Open to 3-7 years old.
Adults only (17+)
For the skater who is 6 years old and older and has never skated before. Correct falling and recovery, skating posture and balance, forward swizzles, and basic skating fundamentals are taught.
For the skater who has completed Tot III or the Basic 1 level. 1 and 2 foot glides, forward and backward swizzles, backward wiggles, and forward slaloms are taught.
For the skater who has passed the Basic 2 level. Forward pumps (left & right), forward stroking, backward glides, moving 2 foot turn, and 2 foot spins are taught.
For the skater who has passed the Basic 3 level. Forward crossovers (left & right), forward 3 turns, forward outside and inside edges, backward skating, and backward snowplow stops are all taught.
For the skater who has passed the Basic 4 level. Backward outside and inside edges on a circle, backward crossovers, 1 foot spin, hockey stop, and tap toes are all taught.
For the skater who has passed the Basic 5 level. Forward inside 3 turns, backward outside mohawks, T-stops, bunny hops, forward spiral, and forward lunge are all taught.
For the skater who has passed the Basic 6 level. Forward inside mohawks, backward outside mohawks, ballet jumps, backward crossover extensions, and forward pivots are all taught.
For the skater who has passed the Basic 7 level. Moving forward outside and inside 3 turns, combination crossovers and mohawk sequences, 1 foot spin, waltz jump, and mazurka hops are all taught.