Marcum Banner Image One

History and Facts

Miami University

  • Established in 1809
  • 14,936 undergraduates, 2,298 graduate students on Oxford campus
  • 3 regional campuses: Hamilton, Middletown, and Voice of America
  • 1 international campus: Luxembourg
  • Named after Miami Indian tribe who occupied most of the Midwest during the 1700s and early 1800s
  • 1,100 acre campus
  • Buildings listed in National Register of Historic Places:
    1. Oxford College
    2. Elliott and Stoddard Halls
    3. The Western College for Women Historic District
    4. Lewis Place
    5. David Swing House No. 2
    6. The "Fullerton"
    7. The McGuffey Museum
    8. Stanton-Bonham House

The Marcum Hotel & Conference Center

  • Completed in 1981
  • Funded entirely with private donations with the lead gift from Mr. & Mrs. Joseph Marcum in memory of their son, Timothy, Class of 1973.
  • Brass plaques located throughout the building indicate donations from specific companies or individuals including The Kroger Company, ARMCO, The J.M. Smucker Company and Ohio Casualty Insurance. Many of the hotel rooms are also named for individual donations.
  • Built on the site of Fisher Hall, which was razed in the 1970s
  • The Marcum is a replica of the Wren building on the campus of William and Mary in colonial Williamsburg, VA.
  • The Marcum was renovated and unveiled in June 2012