Course Dates: January 2018, TBD
Field Experience: January 2018, TBD
Come along and journey with us through the land of aloha. This course, EDL 281:Outdoor Leadership in Maui, offers students an opportunity to enrich their learning with a variety of cultural experiences while practicing leadership. In preparation for their travels students will spend a week of class engaging in readings and discussions on Hawaiian culture and participate in skills workshops.
During the 12-day field experience students will put theory to practice while:
- Backpacking in Haleakala National Park
- Engaging in historical and cultural lessons on the Road to Hana
- Taking part in a service learning project in the Kipahulu region of Haleakala
- Working at a taro farm & experiencing a traditional Hawaiian meal
- Sea kayaking & snorkeling with sea turtles
- Contributing to sea turtle research
- Learning to surf
- Celebrating their journey at a Hawaiian luau
This course is 3 credit hours, taken credit/no credit.
Course Program Fee: $2600