Supplemental Retirement Plans

As a Miami employee, you are eligible to participate in the University's Supplemental Retirement Benefit Program, which includes three annuity plans available to employees of public educational institutions: 403(b), 457, and Roth 403(b). To participate in this program, you must use an approved Supplemental Retirement vendor.

Differences Between Plans

403(b) and 457 are salary reduction plans for which contributions and investment earnings grow tax-deferred until you withdraw funds (at which time they are taxed as ordinary income). Because your contributions to these plans are withdrawn pre-tax, contributions lower your taxable income and increase your retirement savings while you are working. Your pre-tax contributions are completed via payroll deduction. 

A Roth 403(b) is a salary reduction plan for which contributions are made post-tax. Although these accounts do not affect your taxable income while you are working, the earnings you withdraw at retirement are tax-free.

Ohio Deferred Compensation (457)

Contact Tom Bugher at 513-829-6499 or main office at 877-644-6457 for 457 plan enrollment and changes.

Retirement Manager (403b)

Retirement Manager is a convenient, secure, web-based access point from which you can manage your 403(b) annuity retirement plan accounts (not 457 plans) anytime and anywhere. Log in to create an account.

You can use the Retirement Manager site to do the following:

  • Learn more about your retirement savings plan(s)
  • View aggregate balance information across investment providers
  • Start or change contribution amounts
  • Read educational articles on a range of financial planning topics
  • Calculate what you will need to stay on track for retirement with easy-to-use financial calculators
  • Request a Distribution Eligibility Certificate for Loans, Hardship Withdrawals, In-Service Exchanges, and Severance of Employment Withdrawal

You may contact the Retirement Manager Support Line (866-294-7950) Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) from 7:00–6:00 p.m. (CST). The support line is staffed with a dedicated group of Client Service Professionals that are available to help with logging in, navigating the manager, and using enrollment and disbursement transaction screens.

Note: Account-specific questions related to a particular provider should be addressed directly to the provider.

Retirement Manager FAQs

How Do I Enroll?

  1. Contact a representative from among the Approved Supplemental Retirement Vendors to set up a pre-tax and/or Roth 403(b).
  2. Refer to the Contribution Changes instructions (below) to enter the payroll deduction amount. Please set up the account with the vendor prior to submitting the contribution in Retirement Manager.

Where Do I Change My ID or Password?

  1. Log in with your user ID and password.
  2. Click on My Profile (upper left) and change your ID or password.

How Do I Make Contribution Changes?

  1. From the My Savings Manager menu, click on Start or Change My Contributions.
  2. From the drop-down list, select the plan: Miami University 403(b) plan.
  3. From the drop-down list, select the pay date (i.e., when you want the deduction to start).
  4. Fill out the appropriate section for the Pre-Tax Contribution (i.e.., employee contribution) or the Roth EE Contribution (post-tax):
    • Select the type of contribution from the drop-down list
      • On-going flat dollar contribution. This will continue until a new contribution change is submitted.
      • One-time contribution. Contribution will only be on the one pay date selected and will be added to the regular contribution already on file (if applicable). The contribution amount will change back to the regular contribution on the following pay period. If you wish to contribute a different amount on the following pay period, please submit another contribution change.
      • Stop contributing. This will continue until a new contribution change is submitted.
    • Enter the desired per pay amount you want to contribute in the Enter new contribution box (deductions are 24 times per year for bi-weekly employees). If Stop Contributing is selected, amount defaults to zero.
    • Enter a percent to indicate which provider(s) will receive the contribution(s). Values must equal 100%.
  5. Review changes and enter email address for confirmation.
  6. Click Submit. (You also have the option to print confirmation details.)
    Note: An account must be set up prior to the first payroll deduction. If this is a new enrollment, a message will appear that directs you to contact a vendor to set up an account. To do so, follow these steps:
    1. Select the plan from the drop-down list.
    2. Click Establish an Account with this Provider.
      A pop-up screen will appear to send an email to the financial advisor. Verify your personal information and enter additional comments, if you wish. Click Send. The message will automatically be sent to the financial advisor of the vendor you chose. 

Where Can I View Contribution Changes?

From the My Savings Manager menu, click View my Contribution Changes.

Note: Pending, Completed, and Deleted Changes can be viewed on this screen. Pending Changes can also be deleted. You cannot delete a change after the payroll cutoff date.

How Do I Request a Loan or a Withdrawal?

From the My Savings Manager menu, click either Request a Loan or Request a Withdrawal.

Note: For loans, hardship withdrawals and in-service exchanges, you must complete the appropriate certificate, print it, and then take it to the vendor to complete the transaction. The certificate satisfies the Plan Administrator approval.

To access the certificate from the My Savings Manager menu, click either Request a Loan or Request a Withdrawal. To reprint a previously-submitted certificate, click View/Print My Certificates.

2019 Annual Limits

  • Regular Deferral Limit: $19,000
  • Age 50-Plus Deferral Limit: $25,000