Federal Work Study Program

Work-Study is a federal financial aid program based on need, computed from information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Currently, federal funds contribute 65% of the student's wages. The employing department pays the remaining 35%. This is subject to change.

Eligibility

To be considered for the Federal Work-Study Program, a student must do the following:

  • File the FAFSA by Miami University's priority deadline
  • Indicate on the FAFSA your interest in Federal Work-Study
  • Be eligible for need-based aid

If eligible, a student will receive a Federal Work-Study award on their Financial Aid Award Letter. Contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance at 513-529-8734 for more information.

Checking Your Work-Study Award

You may check your financial aid award letter in BannerWeb to see if you have been awarded work-study. Your award letter can be found in the "Student Services and Financial Aid" tab. Select "Financial Aid," then "View your award letter and Financial Aid Checklist," and choose the appropriate year.

Learn more about work study and student employment.


America Reads and American Counts

These two tutoring programs allow Miami students who are eligible for the Federal Work-Study Program to assist children in the local community while earning money for college. Both programs require the student employees get a background check since they will be working with minors.

America Reads at Miami has developed partnerships with several area schools and local agencies in an effort to provide one-on-one support and assistance for children in grades K-6 in the areas of reading, writing, spelling, and vocabulary.

America Counts at Miami has developed partnerships with schools in the Talawanda School District in an effort to provide one-on-one support and assistance for children in grades K-9 in math.

Visit America Reads and America Counts to learn more about both programs.