Homecoming 2009: One for the history booksOct 15, 2009
A number of activities and events make this Bicentennial homecoming celebration (Oct. 19-24) one for the history books. Miami University's Campus Activities Council (CAC) has planned a variety of activities to celebrate Homecoming 2009: "Live the Legacy."
In addition, other organizations have joined the celebration. More than 900 musicians and performers will take the stage Friday, Oct. 23, for the 8 p.m. Performing Arts Series presentation of LegacyFest, a star-studded performance featuring Benny Golson.
Below is list of events for Homecoming 2009: “Live the Legacy.”
Monday, Oct. 19
- 2009 Homecoming Court: Student voting, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m., Shriver Center, Hub, and Bell Tower.
- RedHawk Chef: 7 p.m., Shriver Center. Sponsored by the program board, RedHawk Chef is modeled after the Iron Chef television show.
Tuesday, Oct. 20
- Cooked Out: 5-7 p.m., Cook Field; Raffles, Music, and Food, hosted by CAC.
Wednesday, Oct. 21
- Paint the Town Red: Miami University and Oxford Chamber of Commerce First Annual Paint the Town Red Window Painting event.
- Powderpuff and Flag Football: 5:30 p.m., Yager Stadium, hosted by Greek Life.
Thursday, Oct. 22
- 2009 Homecoming Court: Student voting, second round, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. in Shriver Center, Hub and Bell Tower.
- Alumni Association Awards Dinner: 6 p.m., Shriver Center, hosted by Miami University Alumni Association. Tickets are $35. To reserve, call Toni Gebhart at 529-8137. Reservation deadline is Oct. 19.
- Miami Trivia: 8-10 p. m. on Facebook.
Friday, Oct. 23
- Homecoming 2009 House Decorating Contest: organized by the Miami University Student Foundation (MUSF).
- Homecoming Parade: 6 p.m., starting uptown on the west end of High Street to Tallawanda, then on to Millett.
- Homecoming LegacyFest BBQ: 6 p.m., Millett lawn. Tickets available at Miami’s box office, 529-3200.
- Pep Rally: 7 p.m., Millett lawn.
- LegacyFest: 8 p.m., Millett Hall. Benny Golson, tenor sax, with Miami’s marching band, wind ensemble, jazz ensemble, combined choirs, and Talawanda High School and Middle School bands and choirs, perform music commissioned for the Bicentennial as well as familiar favorites. Tickets: $10 for students/youth, $19 for seniors, and $20 for adults. Tickets available at Miami’s box office at 529-3200.
Saturday, Oct. 24
- Tailgate Town: 11 a.m., Millett front lawn.
- Miami Football vs. N. Illinois: 1 p.m., Yager Stadium. Wear RED to the game. Includes Alumni Band performance with 200 marchers.
For more information and a schedule of events, go to Alumni Association Web site.