John H. Buckingham, 97, professor emeritus of chemistry, died on Sept. 29.
In 1943, Buckingham joined the Miami faculty as a professor in the department of chemistry, and served as chair from 1959-1973.
During his tenure, Hughes Laboratories was constructed, the doctorate program began and the chemistry staff doubled in size. Buckingham retired in 1977. He received his doctorate from Ohio State University and also taught at North Dakota State University, University of Tennessee, and Colorado School of Mines.
In addition to teaching, Buckingham also was involved in the Oxford community. In the 1950s, he was the first biological defense coordinator for Butler County, training and teaching teams to measure radiation levels in case of an attack. He also served as a technical adviser to the Oxford Water Treatment Facility.
Buckingham was the president of the Miami Valley Isotope Service Inc. in 1954 for six years, as well as chairman of the chemistry section of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the Ohio Academy of Science.
Survivors include his wife, Fay Buckingham, his daughter Barbara Buckingham Lawson, four stepchildren and seven grandchildren.
Memorial donations can be made to the John Buckingham Scholarship Fund at Miami.