Several individuals in the Miami community were recognized at the 7th annual Women's Leadership Symposium and Celebration March 30. The event included lunch; a keynote address by Angela Barron McBride, distinguished professor and university dean emerita at the Indiana University School of Nursing; and afternoon sessions on topics relevant to women including the value of mentoring in higher education.
Women's Leadership Awards were given to those who serve as advocates for equality and models of leadership.
Recipients and their award included:
• Rose Marie Ward, assistant professor in physical education, health and sport studies, Kathy McMahon-Klosterman Faculty award;
• Leslie Morrow, interim coordinator of GLBT issues, Graduate Student award;
• Adrienne Nothnagel, junior economics and international studies major, Undergraduate Student award;
• Nancy Arthur, assistant to the dean, interdisciplinary studies and Linda Dixon, associate dean for student retention and learning, Staff awards; and
• John McCandless, Miami University chief of police, Male Ally award.
Lisa Factora-Borchers chaired the symposium and celebration committee; Joshua Kurz and Jessie Lane headed the awards program. Sponsors include Miami's Buck Rodgers Business Leadership Program, Etheridge Center for Reflective Leadership, Harry T. Wilks Leadership Institute, and the Student Development Center of the Farmer School of Business, among others.