During the recently completed 2012 spring semester, Miami University's student-athletes recorded an all-time best cumulative 3.17 grade-point average.
Three-hundred-thirty-two of 518 Miami student-athletes recorded at least "B" averages during the spring semester and 23 of them compiled perfect 4.0 grade point averages.
Led by the women's cross country team's combined 3.64 GPA, the cumulative GPA average of all RedHawk athletes topped the previous single-semester record of 3.16, recorded during the 2011 fall semester. Nearly 85 percent of Miami's athletes had GPAs of at least 2.5.
Thirteen of Miami's 18 varsity teams - four men's and nine women's squads - registered at least a 3.06 team GPA, while four other teams had average GPAs ranging from 2.80 to 2.94.
Nine of the RedHawk teams - volleyball, women's basketball, field hockey, soccer, synchronized skating, men's swimming & diving, golf, football and men's basketball - improved their respective team GPAs from fall 2011 to spring 2012.
Miami's academic performances by team (number of athletes):
1) 3.65 GPA by Women's Volleyball (14)
2) 3.56 GPA by Women's Cross Country (19)
3) 3.41 GPA by Women's Track & Field (49)
4) 3.40 GPA by Women's Swimming & Diving (41)
5) 3.32 GPA by Women's Basketball (13)
6) 3.32 GPA by Women's Field Hockey (20)
7) 3.30 GPA by Women's Soccer (29)
8) 3.27 GPA by Women's Synchronized Skating (53)
9) 3.23 GPA by Women's Tennis (11)
10) 3.21 GPA by Men's Cross Country (11)
11) 3.15 GPA by Men's Swimming & Diving (29)
12) 3.12 GPA by Men's Golf (7)
13) 3.06 GPA by Men's Track & Field (34)
14) 2.94 GPA by Women's Softball (21)
15) 2.92 GPA by Men's Baseball (37)
16) 2.90 GPA by Men's Ice Hockey (26)
17) 2.80 GPA by Men's Football (92)
18) 2.63 GPA by Men's Basketball (12)
Seven student-athletes compiled perfect 4.0 GPAs in both the fall 2011 and spring 2012 semesters. The list includes Alex Chitwood (Carmel, IN - women's cross country/track & field), Cynthia Donovan (Cincinnati, OH - women's swimming & diving, Courtney Larson (Columbus, IN - women's basketball), Lauren McHenry (Raleigh, NC - synchronized skating), Kelley Miller (Dublin, OH - women's cross country and track & field), Sarah Tirrell (North Canton, OH - women's cross country and track & field), and Lisa Werwinski (Canton, OH - women's swimming & diving).