Miami University President David Hodge, in his annual address, Sept. 6, invited the Miami community to be part of a framework for enhancing Miami's future. He announced the creation of a Miami 2020 Plan that supports Miami's core values but makes room for new ways to address those values in an ever-changing environment.
“It is both a more competitive and a more demanding environment, with significant change occurring more rapidly than ever. These changes are not temporary disruptions; they are, in fact, changes that are framing a 'new normal.' Success in this environment requires anticipating these changes and effectively adapting them to the core missions of the university. More specifically, success requires an inspiring vision, focused goals, and high performance execution,” Hodge told the crowd at Hall Auditorium.
The president also summarized many outcomes of the 2008 Strategic Priorities Task Force goals, citing successes across areas of the university.
“The university has been relentless in our drive to be a better university, and while we should be, and must be, hungry to accomplish more, it is also important on occasion to pause for a moment and reflect on how much has been accomplished,” he said
The president briefly shared the podium with Provost Bobby Gempesaw, who provided context for how higher education is likely to change by 2020.
Then, Hodge shared an initial set of five goals (developed by senior leaders, including divisional deans, vice presidents and selected other leaders) that support our vision to “Provide the best undergraduate experience in the nation, enhanced by superior, select graduate programs.”
The goals will be addressed by Target Goal Teams working toward creating specific visions backed up by metrics, timetables and action plans.
The goals focus on:
- The academic environment — “Promote an innovative, engaged learning and discovery environment that produces extraordinary student and scholarly success.”
- The faculty and staff at Miami — “Build a campus culture that stimulates and recognizes creativity, entrepreneurial thinking, and exemplary performance.”
- Global reach and commitment to diversity in challenging our students, indeed all of us —“Extend our global connections and strengthen a culture of inclusion, integrity, and collaboration that embraces a changing and diverse society.”
- Positioning Miami in the increasingly competitive higher education environment — “Pursue forward-looking programs, activities, and structures that ensure academic success and financial sustainability in the evolving landscape of higher education.
- A re-imagined commitment to the future that we embrace as a public university. —“Forge effective partnerships and contributions that impact the region, state, nation, and world.”
The president’s entire speech is available online.