News Release

News and Public Information Office
Glos Center
Miami University
Oxford, Ohio 45056
(513) 529-7592
(513) 529-1950 fax

Successful emergency notifications tests held


Miami’s fall test of its emergency notification system (ENS) was a success, based on survey responses received following the 1:30 p.m. test Wednesday, Sept. 19.

Representatives of the Institutional Response Team (IRT) sent test messages via the following methods:

• Miami’s Emergency Text Messaging System, with e-mail option
• An all-Miami e-mail via rapid e-mail
• The Miami University home page and MyMiami portal
• The voice and display-based emergency notification feature of the VoIP telephones.
• The digital signage in the Farmer School of Business, Hoyt Hall, HDRBS locations, the BEST Library in Laws Hall, on the regional campuses and VOA.

This year all alerts were sent from a residence in Oxford in order to continue to gauge our ability to send alerts from off-campus locations. The IRT ENS team used a kit from IT consisting of a wireless access point, a VoIP phone and a VPN endpoint that provided access to the Miami network. Use of this site proved as successful as previous on-campus and off-campus tests. About 21 percent of recipients responded to a survey sent to a random list of 5,000 staff, faculty and students.

• About 78 percent of survey responders said they had received at least one alert within three minutes.
• 83 percent within five minutes.
• About 14 percent reported to have received their first alert after 1:40 p.m. This can be attributed to factors including but not limited to: a phone that is not on at the time of the test, poor cell phone reception, not being near a computer or phone during the test.

For the first time, the e2Campus alert was triggered using a cell phone and e2Campus’ mobile website. A total of 13,907 text alerts was sent to subscribers. Text messages were delivered to 94.8 percent of cell phones, with failed deliveries due to a variety of factors, including expired registrations.

E-mails reached 95 percent of people, with most of the other 5 percent not having checked junk filters or being away from their computers. More than a quarter of those surveyed saw the alert on the myMiami portal, the Miami home page or the Miami police website.

Of those who were in a campus building, almost 49 percent reported to have heard or seen an alert via VoIP on a campus phone. Digital signs displayed the test message for 10 minutes and about 4 percent of responders reported to have seen those messages.

The university’s policy is to use the ENS in cases of immediate threat to safety or closure of a campus/cancelling classes. If you are not registered yet to receive text or e-mail messages through the e2Campus system, you can do so starting at

Before the test was run, emails were sent to the 474 e2Campus users with expired accounts and 1,339 users with unvalidated accounts (incomplete registrations). The email provided directions for users to enable their accounts. This outreach is important because expired and unvalidated accounts do not receive e2Campus alerts. Similar emailed notices were sent in January and June 2012.


© 2012 | Miami University | 501 East High Street | Oxford, Ohio 45056 | 513.529.1809 | Equal opportunity in education and employment | Privacy Statement