OXFORD, Ohio -- Dr. James C. Garland will be inaugurated as Miami
University's 20th president in a ceremony at 2:45 p.m. Friday, Sept. 19, in
Millett Hall. A procession to the ceremony will start at 2:15 at Withrow
Dr. Gordon Gee, president of Ohio State University, will be the speaker.
The inauguration will be the climax of a weeklong celebration on campus.
- Miami's annual community picnic will be held from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Sept. 16, at Yager Stadium.
The picnic is for all members of Miami's staff and faculty and their families
as well as retired members of the Miami community and their families and
- Phillip R. Shriver, president emeritus, will present "A History of Miami
Presidents" at 8 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 17, in Hall Auditorium.
- A Showcase Concert featuring Miami's Men's Glee Club, Steel Band and
African Ensemble and Choraliers will be held at 8 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 18, in
Millett Hall. Immediately following the concert there will be an ice cream
social outside Millett Hall featuring the Miami University Marching Band.
- An Alumni Leadership Symposium, a discussion of contemporary leadership
issues and practice, will be held from 10 a.m.-noon Saturday, Sept. 20, in Hall
- An exhibit, "Miami Presidents: 1824-1997," will open in the Walter
Havighurst Special Collection Monday, Sept. 15, in King Library. Hour are 8
a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 1-5 p.m. Sunday. The exhibit will be
shown through December.