News Release

News and Public Information Office
Glos Center
Miami University
Oxford, Ohio 45056
(513) 529-7592
(513) 529-1950 fax
newsinfo@miamioh.edu

Fire at fraternity house Nov. 10

11/13/2000

A Miami student is home after spending 13 days in the hospital following an early morning fire Friday, Nov. 10, at the Sigma Chi fraternity house, which forced the evacuation of approximately 50 students.

Robert Ammarell, 21, a zoology major from Nashville, Tenn., was released from Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton on Thanksgiving, after being airlifted there from McCullough-Hyde Memorial Hospital in Oxford Friday, Nov. 10. Ammarell suffered smoke inhalation.

The fire was reported to the Oxford fire department at about 5:10 a.m. The probable cause of the blaze was a lighted candle left unattended in an area of combustible materials, says Oxford Fire Chief Len Endress. No other injuries were reported.

Miami officials have made arrangements for housing many of the Sigma Chi members; other have opted to stay with friends. Donations of clothing and vouchers for food, supplies and clothing have been distributed to the fraternity members.

RSS

© 2012 | Miami University | 501 East High Street | Oxford, Ohio 45056 | 513.529.1809
webmaster@miamioh.edu | Equal opportunity in education and employment | Privacy Statement