A march from uptown Oxford to the Freedom Summer Memorial on the Western campus highlights Miami Universitys Martin Luther King Jr. observance on Monday, Jan. 15.
All are invited to meet at the Martin Luther King Jr. Park in Oxford at 1:30 p.m.; the march begins at 2 p.m. Following the march, a community observance will be held at 3:30 p.m. in Kumler Chapel on the Western campus.
Guest speaker is national radio celebrity Walt "Baby" Love. Loves "Countdown," the longest running syndicated rhythm and blues show in radio, is heard on more than 150 stations in the United States and 75 countries around the world. He also produces and hosts, "Gospel Traxx," highlighting the best in contemporary gospel music, heard on more than 180 radio stations nationwide and in 15 countries.
Music will be by national recording artist Rodney Posey and "Praise."
Other events include:
- Hike around Acton Lake, Hueston Woods, sponsored by the Hefner Zoology and Limper Geology museums, 9 a.m. Monday, Jan. 15. Meet at the park lodge. Call (513) 529-3220 for more information.
- Coffeehouse talent showcase at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 17, in Hall Auditorium, sponsored by Miamis Center for Black Culture and Learning. For more information, call (513) 529-4700.
- A tribute to the Rev. Donald Jordan, Miami 54, recipient of the 2001 Center for Black Culture and Learning Economic Empowerment and Service Award, at 6 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 18, in the Shriver Center. Call (513) 529-4770 for more information.
Events involving Miamis Hamilton campus include:
In Middletown, a community celebration will be held at 4 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 14, at Bethel A.M.E. Church, 1400 Yankee Road. For more information, call (513) 727-9813.
- Community march at 11 a.m. Monday, Jan. 15, from the Booker T. Washington Community Center, 1140 S. Front St., (513) 868-0126 to the Bethel Baptist Church, 414 S. 11th St., where Bishop William W. Burden of the Church of the Good Samaritan, Phoenix, Ariz., will speak at noon.
- An awards ceremony at 6:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 15, at the community center recognizing student recipients of scholarships presented in memory of King.
- Annual remembrance and reflections luncheon at 11:30 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 18, in the Harry T. Wilks Conference Center. For more information, call (513) 785-3024.
Events are free and open to the public.