Oxford, Ohio 45056
(513) 529-1950 fax
Music and art part of millennium series
Internationally prominent musicians, a special art exhibition and a celebrated architect will come to the Miami campus for spring semester events in the Presidential Millennium Series for the Arts.
Endorsed by President James C. Garland, the series began in January 2000 and concludes in May, a three-semester forum on the state of the arts at the millennium. The series explores the theme "Memory and Time."
• Performance by the Kronos Quartet at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 18, in Hall Auditorium, part of Miami’s Performing Arts Series. Quartet members reinvented the image of a string quartet through innovative performances of diverse music and by commissioning more than 400 works.
• Exhibition, "Marking Time/Making Memory" at the Miami University Art Museum Feb. 13-April 15. Items from different cultures focus on the many ways in which time is measured.
• Performance of "Top Girls" presented by the department of theatre, 8 p.m. Feb. 22, 23, 24 and 28 and March 1-2 and 2 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 25.
• Lecture and short concert by Gunther Schuller at 8 p.m. Thursday, March 1, in Hall Auditorium, sponsored by the department of music. Schuller will share thoughts on music at the turn of the century from his perspective as a composer, conductor, author and educator.
• Performance by Itzhak Perlman at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 4, in Millett Hall, part of the Performing Art Series. Perlman, one of the premier violinists of his generation, will pay homage to another internationally celebrated violinist, Jascha Heifetz, in the program.
• Lecture by Zaha Hadid, sponsored by the department of architecture and interior design, details to be announced at a later date. Hadid, who is based in London but has worked and taught throughout the world, has recently received local attention for her design for the new Contemporary Arts Center in Cincinnati.
Tickets are required for Performing Arts concerts and department of theatre productions. For ticket information, call the Miami box office at 9-3200.
Date Published: 12/14/2000