The Miami Report

News and Public Information Office
Glos Center
Miami University
Oxford, Ohio 45056
(513) 529-7592
(513) 529-1950 fax
newsinfo@miamioh.edu

Second ‘pod’ opens at Miami Middletown book depository

The second module of a warehouse-style building containing library holdings from four southwestern Ohio universities opened in April on the Miami Middletown campus.

The facility, located on a hill behind Levey Hall, is the southwest Ohio Regional Depository for the remote storage of permanently held library materials from the collections of Miami, the University of Cincinnati, Wright State and Central State universities.

The depository creates an ideal preservation environment for storing books. It is equipped with a special, low-intensity, high-pressure sodium lighting system, separate HVAC and dehumidifying systems with particulate and gas filters, extra insulation and vapor barriers, no roof penetrations or wall penetrations to the outside from the storage area and specially sealed dock and doors.

The original building, opened in 1994, is at capacity. Staff members are processing materials from the four institutions for the new unit, according to Sue Berry, manager of the depository.

Materials are accessible to users through OhioLINK and through each university’s online catalog. While the depository is not designed for direct access by users, a conference/reading room is available by appointment for on-site use. Materials usually are delivered to and from each university on a shuttle service.

Date Published: 05/17/2001
Volume: 20   Number: 36

RSS

© 2012 | Miami University | 501 East High Street | Oxford, Ohio 45056 | 513.529.1809
webmaster@miamioh.edu | Equal opportunity in education and employment | Privacy Statement