Oxford, Ohio 45056
(513) 529-1950 fax
Bicentennial ceremonies at Langstroth Cottage, DeWitt log cabin
Two properties on university grounds will observe ceremonies to dedicate placement of Ohio Bicentennial History markers Saturday, May 10. At 2 p.m., Langstroth Cottage, 303 Patterson Ave., will be dedicated. The DeWitt Log Homestead, newly restored, will be dedicated at 4 p.m. The homestead is located on Route 73 east. Both events are free and open to the public.
The dedications are part of daylong events sponsored by the Butler County History Collaborative. Seventeen sites will be open free of charge. Oxford sites include the Pioneer Farm Museum at Hueston Woods State Park, Black Covered Bridge on Corso Road, McGuffey Home Museum (site of another bicentennial marker) and the Smith Library of Regional History.
Langstroth Cottage was home to the Rev. Lorenzo Langstroth, wife Anne and three children, from 1858 to 1887. Langstroth is renowned as the "Father of American Beekeeping" and made experimental hives on the property. The cottage was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1982.
The cabin of Zachariah and Elizabeth DeWitt, built in 1805, is the oldest remaining structure in Oxford Township. It is also the last of several pioneer homesteads established along Four-Mile Creek before Oxford, Oxford Township or Miami University existed. The couple raised corn, hogs and nine children there. The property is leased and maintained by the Oxford Museum Association and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Date Published: 05/01/2003