Oxford, Ohio 45056
(513) 529-1950 fax
University Senate Oct. 20 approved minutes of the Oct. 6 meeting and heard a report from James Oris (zoology) on STRIVE, academic excellence through inclusion.
Senate passed two resolutions: 1) revisions to the bylaws of University Senate updating the name of university honors and scholars program committee, a Senate advisory committee; and 2) revisions to The Miami Bulletin: Registering for Courses, Graduate-level Courses for Seniors.
University Senate approved Senate Resolution SR 04-02:
BE IT HEREBY RESOLVED that Senate recommends the following resolution encouraging administrators at Miami University and the AFSCME Local Union 209 to continue labor negotiations until a settlement is reached in the current labor dispute and asking the administration to raise salaries to a "market-competitive" wage.
We, the Miami University Senate:
1. Acknowledge that all employees, including the ca. 900 service, maintenance and building trades workers represented by the AFSCME Local Union 209 are indispensable parts of the Miami University communities.
2. Strongly oppose employment/wage policies of the University, in which a significant disparity between the wages received by Miami employees in Local Union 209 and other entities referenced in the Fact-Finder Report of 08/15/2003 (Case No. 03-MED-04-0481) is evident.
3. Believe that fiscal/financial policies of the University cannot be carried out to the disadvantage of our University communities’ most vulnerable.
4. Urge President Garland and the Board of Trustees to authorize a salary/compensation proposal in accordance with the aforementioned Fact-Finder Report in order to rectify the pay disparities and secure market-competitive wages.
5. Encourage both parties to continue negotiations until a settlement is reached.
The next meeting will be at 3:05 p.m. Nov. 3, in 111 Harrison Hall.
Date Published: 10/23/2003