Oxford, Ohio 45056
(513) 529-1950 fax
Libraries join open access publishing group BMC
Responding to the rising cost of journals — with increases of 10 percent or more per year — OhioLINK, a consortium of 83 college and university libraries including Miami, is exploring open access models for publishing peer-reviewed scholarly work by becoming members of BioMedCentral (BMC).
With BMC, faculty benefit from publishing their research articles in an open access journal without paying the usual BMC $500 processing charge. BioMed Central publishes 104 open access online journals across the spectrum of biology and medicine. A full list is at http://www.biomedcentral.com/info/libraries/oajournals.
Faculty submissions to any of the journals will receive rigorous and rapid peer review.
If the article is accepted:
• It will be accessible to anyone with an Internet connection and therefore is more likely to be cited.
• It will be listed in PubMed within days of publication and securely and permanently archived in PubMed Central.
• Copyright of the work does not transfer to BMC.
• The article’s access statistics can be viewed.
• All BMC open access journal articles will be loaded into the OhioLINK Electronic Journal Center for access and permanent archiving.
More details are at www.lib.muohio.edu under “New Publishing Model for Peer-Reviewed Work.”
Information about the benefits of publishing with BioMed Central is available at http://www.biomedcentral.com/info/authors/.
As of Nov. 1, faculty can submit a manuscript, either via a journal home page or via http://www.biomedcentral.com/manuscript/. Faculty from an OhioLINK member institution will be granted an article processing charge waiver.
For details on this and for submitting from an off-campus site, go to www.lib.muohio.edu.
Date Published: 11/06/2003