Definitions of Partnerships
Partnerships with Colleges and Universities
Miami University has forged partnerships with universities and colleges in the United States and abroad. The goals of these partnerships are as follows:
• Developing and implementing dual degree and other combined programs
• Creating smooth transfer of students to and from Miami
• Offering Miami e-Learning courses and programs to students
• Engaging in collaborative research, creative, service or other educational projects
• Fostering faculty and/or student exchanges, including study abroad or study away.
Partnerships with K-12 Schools
Miami University has developed partnerships with elementary, middle and high schools or school districts in the United States and abroad for the purpose of:
1) Promoting access to higher education, including the recruitment and enrollment of students to Miami
2) Offering dual enrollment courses and post-secondary educational opportunities (PSEO)
3) Offer educator professional development
4) Advancing improvement of schools
5) Offering Miami e-learning courses and programs to students
6) Engaging in joint or collaborative research, service, creative or other educational projects.
Partnerships with Corporations & Foundations
Miami encourages faculty and staff to build mutually beneficial and meaningful relationships with corporations, foundations and other external constituencies. Many times these relationships can result in increased private support in the form of grants or gifts to Miami University.
Corporate and foundation partnerships can enhance virtually every aspect of campus life. Most frequently, the resulting gifts and grants that come about from these partnerships are made to support one of seven areas: Capital infrastructure, Research, Scholarships, Education/Teaching, Service, Sponsorship, or Unrestricted/Undesignated.
Partnerships with Communities
Miami University has developed partnerships with city, state, and federal elected officials and government agencies, as well as with civic leaders and representatives from community-based organizations. Community-based partnerships have multiple goals, including:• Education outreach which are collaborations between Miami and local communities that translate academic research and knowledge into community knowledge
• Community-based research and evaluation which engage and empower community members and community-based organizations as partners in research activities
• Service-Learning which is an experiential pedagogical practice that uses action and reflection to meet needs and enhance learning through mutually beneficial, reciprocal partnerships. It generally involved course credit.
• Volunteerism which is any activity that involves spending time, unpaid, doing something that aims to benefit the environment or someone (individuals or groups)
• Advocacy and activism to create positive social changes
• Economic development which are activities designed to improve the economic and civic environment of a given community