Exterior of the Voice of America Learning Center

Voice of America Learning Center (VOALC)

The Center is built on part of what was once the Voice of America Bethany Relay Station that broadcast continuously from 1944 to 1995, reaching five continents in 53 languages at the peak of its operation. In March of 1995, after the VOA announced the decommissioning of the Bethany Station, Miami began working with West Chester Township and Butler County officials in making application to receive part of the land for public benefit. In July 1996, Miami applied to the U.S. Department of Education Federal Real Property Assistance Program for 20 acres on the western perimeter of the site, and received title to the land in December 2000.Groundbreaking took place September 5, 2007, the cupola was raised on July 23, 2008, and classes began on January 12, 2009.