Generally speaking, there are five steps in the process of applying for external funding.
- Visit our "Finding funding" section for resources.
- Become familiar with funding trends and timing cycles.
- Contact Heather Johnston in OARS if you need assistance locating an appropriate funding opportunity.
- Notify your OARS consultant of your intention to submit a proposal at least 10 working days* prior to the funding agency's submission deadline. You are encouraged to contact their OARS consultant much earlier than that when possible, especially if you haven't worked with OARS before.
- Review the guidelines in the RFP carefully; if necessary, contact your OARS consultant for help interpreting the guidelines.
- Contact your OARS consultant if you have any questions about Miami or agency procedures.
- Contact Research Compliance staff if you have any questions about research compliance requirements.
- Consider contacting the program officer or other agency contact to inquire whether your project is a good fit for their program.
- Visit our "Grant writing resources" page for proposal writing resources.
- Visit our "Proposal preparation resources" section for standard data and language often included in proposals.
- Think through your project carefully and identify what resources you will need to complete it.
- Ask for what you actually need to complete the project — no more and no less.
- Visit our "Budget resources" page for institutional information you may need to complete the budget, including fringe benefit and indirect cost rates.
- Submit a draft of the budget to your OARS consultant, who will help you develop the final budget and budget justification.
- Submit or release the final approved budget to your OARS consultant at least 3 working days* prior to the funding agency's submission deadline.
- Complete a PAF and obtain the signature of all PIs, co-PIs, chairs/directors, and deans.
- Submit the PAF to your OARS consultant at least 3 working days* prior to the funding agency's submission deadline.
- Complete the online PAF decision tree questionnaire, if you are requesting supplemental funding or a continuation.
- Submit or release the final proposal to your OARS consultant at least 2 working days* prior to the funding agency's submission deadline.
*Meeting specified deadlines makes you eligible to receive EPSI program incentives
Post-award accounting is handled by the Grants & Contracts office.