America Reads & America Counts
America Reads and America Counts are tutoring programs that allow Miami students to assist children in the local community while earning money. Students who have been awarded Federal Work Study as part of their Financial Aid package may apply to become an America Reads or America Counts tutor. America Reads tutors provide one-on-one support and assistance for children in grades K - 6, in the areas of reading, writing, spelling, and vocabulary. America Counts tutors provide one-on-one support and assistance for children in grades K - 9, in math. Tutors must commit to at least one semester of service, but preferably an academic year or more.
Become a Tutor
- Confirm that you have been awarded Federal Work Study as part of your Financial Aid package.
- Apply online.
Federal Work-Study is a federal financial aid program based on need computed from information you provide on the FAFSA. If you indicated an interest in work-study on the FAFSA, filed the FAFSA by the priority deadline, and are otherwise eligible, your award package may include federal work study. If you submitted the FAFSA and are not sure whether you are eligible for work-study, inquire at the Office of Student Financial Assistance or follow the steps below. Federal work-study earnings are not credited to your Bursar account.
To confirm work study eligibility:
- Login to Bannerweb.
- Click Student Services and Financial Aid.
- Click Financial Aid.
- Click My Award Information.
- Click Award for Aid Year.
- Select the Current Aid Year.
- Click the Award Overview tab.
- Scroll down to Financial Aid Award to view if you have been awarded Federal Work Study.