Service-Learning integrates community service or other forms of engagement into course content. As a result, Miami students are able to gain real world skills and enhance their learning while contributing to the community. The Service-Learning (SL) designation appears on your transcript and tells potential employers and/or graduate schools about your course-based commitment.
Find a Service-Learning Course
- Log onto Course List using your unique ID and password.
- Scroll down in the Attribute box and select Service-Learning (SL).
- Fill in all other boxes with the appropriate information, such as semester you want to take the course and on which campus.
- Scroll down on the page and click Get Classes.
- View the General Bulletin for full course descriptions.
Create Your Own Service-Learning Experience
Students may earn one hour of additional credit for Service-Learning activities directly connected to the content and objectives of any Miami Plan course. If you are interested in creating your own Service-Learning experience please download, read, and complete the SL Extra Credit Form.
Some Service-Learning courses are assessed a fee, which operates similar to a lab or field experience fee. Students enrolled in a fee-assessed course receive:
- Coordinated Service-Learning placements that fit students' schedules and meet any specific needs
- Service-Learning orientations, trainings, and reflection sessions, as needed
- Specialized, one-on-one assistance to students throughout the course
- Any other logistical support as needed, such as transportation coordination
- Fingerprinting or online background checks at no additional cost.