Why Get Involved?
There are a number of different ways to get involved on Miami's Campus, each offering rich opportunities and countless possibilities to help you enhance your Miami Experience. From being a SOUL (Summer Orientation Undergraduate Leader) to volunteering in the community, there is a unique opportunity/combination of opportunities waiting for each Miami student. Our goal is to help you find a meaningful experience that will help you in your future development.
So, why should you get involved? There are a myriad of reasons, some of which we will cover here.
Student Organization Involvement:
Student Feedback from the 2010 EBI Survey for Student Organizations
- 86.5% of students said they would recommend involvement in their student organization to other students
- 78.9% said their involvement improved their sense of belonging to campus
- 69.2% said their involvement improved the value of their education
- 72% rated the value of their involvement as Exceptional or Excellent
- Students reported that their involvement enhanced their ability to define (66.5%) and solve (69.3%) problems
- 65.8% felt that their involvement in student organizations enriched their campus social life, while 60.4% felt it enriched campus intellectual life and 54.3% felt it enriched the cultural life on campus
- 61.8% felt their involvement helped enhance their ability to think critically
What students are saying:
The following quotes are in response to the question " As a senior, you have a unique opportunity to reflect on what you have learned while at Miami. Please share two to three ways your student organization involvement contributed to your Miami experience and prepared you for life after graduation." in the 2010 EBI Survey:
- "My student organization gave me the chance to interact with not only other students, but numerous Miami faculty and staff members as well. I was taught how to get things done in a timely manner, and how to manage my time effectively. Most of all, it really helped me grow as a person, and gave me a higher self-confidence."
- "My involvement has given me the opportunity to make new friends, expand as a leader, and become a more well rounded person. My experience will help me to reach out and join organizations after graduation to remain involved in my community."
- "Firstly, I have experienced the senior most leadership position so I have a first-hand experience of a managerial position. Most importantly, I was able to find friends that were atypical of Miami and experience a better representation of our nations' cultural diversity. Also I found an outlet for everyday stresses that makes me very happy."
- "Being involved in a student organization helped me get more involved on campus. I have learned important aspects about leading a large group of people, planning and scheduling, and the importance of work with others as a team to accomplish a goal."
- "It is the most important thing I have done at Miami. Nothing is more rewarding to devote your time and heart and soul to an organization that is worthwhile, especially when working with people that have the same goals in mind. Using different points of view and different ideas from other members improves the quality of the organization as a whole. Forming long-lasting relationships and friendships with other members was just icing on the cake."
- "If I hadn't joined Alpha Phi Omega I would have surely left Miami. Being involved in leadership roles have allowed me to learn leadership skills that I can use in my future work."