EMPOWER is a nine-week program intended for students, at Miami University, who are interested in expanding their understanding of social issues and their impact on communities. EMPOWER is a rewarding, yet intensive, program that combines service, education, and critical personal investigation to foster social awareness, build community, and create a deeper understanding of diversity. Students in the Urban Teaching Cohort and Social Justice Studies Program will specifically explore the connection between economic and educational injustices.
Through EMPOWER, students will:
- Gain a better understanding of social issues, identity, and social class, which affect people at the local, regional, and national level.
- Foster and build diversity awareness.
- Work firsthand with local agencies.
- Meet other Miami students who are interested in community service and social justice.
- Develop a continuing relationship with the Office of Community Engagement & Service and local core partner agencies.
- Improve their inter-personal and human relations skills, which are increasingly viewed as the most important skills in achieving success in professional and personal spheres.
- Explore possibilities for future education or career choices.