Summer orientation 2016 has concluded; new students who have not yet attended orientation should register for August orientation.
All confirmed, domestic first year students received a brochure with important orientation details and information about how to register for a session via the myMiami student portal website. After logging into the myMiami portal, new students will see the option to register for Summer orientation on the "welcome" tab, in the checklist on the upper-left portion of the page. NOTE: You may see a health and/or advising hold on your account; these holds are normal and will not prevent you from registering for orientation.
Summer orientation at Miami is designed for all first-year students, and consists of one-and-a-half days of programs and meetings with faculty, staff, and student leaders. Students and families should arrive between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. for residence hall and program check-in (all students must stay on campus for the one overnight of orientation). We recommend arriving by 11:30 a.m. if possible, though check-in will remain open until 12 p.m. Please call 513-529-9771 if you are unable to arrive by 12 p.m.
Day 2 of Summer orientation starts at 7 a.m. for students and 8 a.m. for families, and concludes around 12:30 p.m. EST with a closing session where students and families are reunited. We encourage family members to attend summer orientation with their student as we offer programs and sessions geared particularly toward family members and guests.
Orientation is required for incoming first-year students, particularly because it serves as the vehicle for new student advising and course registration. Students who are unable to attend Summer orientation must attend August orientation and register for classes at that time.
Please read all of the information on this website before registering for Summer orientation.
At Summer orientation, you can expect to:
- Learn about Miami’s approach to Liberal Education
- Develop an academic plan based on your selected major
- Meet with an academic advisor
- Register for fall semester classes
- Hear about Miami’s history and traditions
- Meet faculty, staff, and student leaders
- Learn about campus resources
- Connect with other new students
- Become more familiar with the physical space of campus
- Understand more about the differences between high school and college
- Consider the goals and outcomes you’d like to achieve at Miami