Vendor Contracts

Registered student organizations can sign contracts on their own behalf and do not bind the University to the contract. Only contracts reviewed by Student Activities should be signed by the organization. This review is established for the protection of the club, its officers and sponsor, and the University. If the contract is associated with an on-campus event, the event must be registered online in the Hub. All contracts must include the following clause:

Miami University is not a party to this agreement.

Miami University is not responsible for the performance of the terms of this agreement and is not liable for breaches of this agreement.

__________ Initial of student organization representative

__________ Initial of contracting party

The Office of Student Activities also has a blank contract that may be edited and used if the speaker/vendor/performer you are using does not provide a contract.

The student organization account must have sufficient funds to cover the request. If the present fund balance does not cover the cost of the contract, an explanation of anticipated funding sources must be included. The space for the performance must be reserved before the contract is processed.

Registered student organization contracts are reviewed by the Office of Student Activities (2026 Armstrong Student Center). Call 513-529-2266 to make an appointment with a staff member. The staff member reviewing the contract will advise you of what additional signatures will may be need, which may include:

  •  Building Point of Contract/Physical Facilities (if necessary).
  •  If space reserved through registrar’s office, a print-out of reservation confirmation should be attached.
  •  Miami University Police Department (if necessary)
  •  Division of Student Affairs (Warfield Hall)
  •  David Creamer in Finance & Business Services (if performer/speaker/etc.)

After all signatures are present on the routing form, the student organization is responsible for contacting the artist/company to finalize the contract and initiating payment for the services.

Special Notes in Regards to Paying for Services

There are some special rules for paying Miami students, faculty and staff for services.

Most of the time, classified staff, unclassified staff and faculty may not receive any payments from student organizations. Any services they provide are on a volunteer basis. If an employee has their own business, the student organization can have a contract with the business. The business must have a tax ID number.

A student organization contract may not directly or indirectly provide a monetary or other personal benefit to any member of the student organization, his or her immediate family member, employer or business associate. An "immediate family member" includes the following relatives, regardless of where they reside: (1) spouse or domestic partner; (2) children [whether dependent or not]; (3) siblings; (4) parents; and (5) grandparents. “Business Associate” includes a partner, a shareholder of a non-publicly traded company in which the student owns one or more shares, a voluntary association or joint venture in which the student is a member or similar business arrangement.

Departmentally affiliated student organizations must process contracts through the university contract process.

View a sample vendor contract for student organizations.