Credit Evaluations

Undergraduate evaluations are done by the Office of the Registrar.

Transfer credit is granted for grades of C or better from regionally accredited institutions. Upon a student's first matriculation to the university, transfer credit earned at Ohio institutions will be accepted for grades of D- or better for courses taken in fall 2005 or after. Courses taken at Ohio institutions in fall 2009 or after will be accepted regardless of student’s matriculation date. Courses taken fall term 2010 or after will be accepted for grades of D- and above from all regionally accredited institutions. Credit received on a pass/fail or credit/no-credit basis may also be accepted if it can be verified that the equivalent letter grade earned was a "C" or better. Transfer credit is posted without grades on your Miami record and grades earned elsewhere are disregarded in the computation of your GPA.

Students who have attended U.S. institutions not fully accredited by a regional accrediting agency must validate their previous coursework by earning 32 semester credits with a 2.00 cumulative average at Miami. The credit for any grade reported as a D- or better will be given upon completion of the 32 hours. Credit earned for any grade reported as a D- or better at two-year institutions not fully accredited will be accepted on a provisional basis and must be validated by earning 32 semester credits with a 2.00 cumulative average at Miami. All credits earned at two-year institutions can transfer only as lower division (100 and 200 level) credit, except that a course taken at the lower division level which bears the same title as an upper division course at Miami will be considered equivalent if validated by the division and/or department in which the course has applicability.

Students who earn credit at institutions outside the United States must provide (in addition to their academic records) course descriptions or course syllabi that include a list of required reading for the course, number of class hours required in each course, and the length of the academic term(s) when enrolled. Provide course description or syllabi in the English language at least 1 month before the semester begins, if offered admission. Credit can be transferred only for studies completed at a recognized degree-granting institution. These credits are evaluated by the Office of the Registrar in consultation with the Office of Admission and Academic Divisions.

Students who intend to study abroad are expected to consult with the Office of International Education in advance of their departure to make certain that the credits earned will transfer to Miami University.

Acceptance of extra-institutional or nontraditional credit, such as credit by examination, extension credit, correspondence credit, and armed forces credit, is limited to 32 semester hours. Only 20 of the 32 hours may be in correspondence work and in extension work from other institutions.

You can receive credit for courses sponsored by the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Educational Support (DANTES) program that are college level and completed with satisfactory final examinations. Credit earned through non-collegiate sponsored instruction, evaluated by the American Council on Education (listed in National Guide to Education Credit for Training Programs), may be accepted only with approval of the appropriate academic department.

Whenever possible, transfer credits are assigned corresponding Miami course numbers. The appropriate Miami department determines where credit applies. Courses that do not fulfill the Miami Plan for Liberal Education, divisional requirements, or major requirements transfer as free electives.

Back to top