Fequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

I would like to study Korean to fulfill my language proficiency requirement in ITS. However, I noticed in the Miami Bulletin that Korean is not offered at the 300 level. The ITS requirements state that I need 6 credits at the 300 level. How can I meet the requirement?

For languages like Korean and Hindi, etc. that are not offered at the 300 level, students are expected to choose a study abroad program that includes upper level language courses so that the requirement can be completed while abroad.

Do I have to study abroad for an entire semester, or can I do 2 summer programs instead?

The ITS program requires an entire semester of study abroad. There is a petition process for the rare exception to the semester study abroad requirement. If you wish to file a petition, you should first meet with the program director or the chief program advisor to see if you qualify.

I am an upper class student who has decided to change my major to ITS. Can I still graduate in 4 years?

That generally depends on where you place in foreign language. If you begin a new language at the 101 level, you will need 6 to 8 semesters to complete that requirement. You will also need to spend a semester abroad.

I have a double major in French and ITS. Do I have to take the ITS capstone, or can I take the French capstone instead?

You have to take the ITS capstone. You should check with the French department to see if they also require you to take theirs or if they will accept the ITS capstone. Many double majors have to take 2 capstones.

I am an international student from China. Do I also have to study abroad?

As an international student, a semester at Miami University counts as your study abroad but students are encouraged to consider a study abroad experience.