Admission to the Social Work Major

Admissions to the Social Work program can happen in one of three ways:

  1. Upon applying to Miami University and prior to your first semester at Miami University, declare major as Social Work.
  2. Any time after you’ve arrived and have started classes at Miami University you can fill out a “Change of Major, Minor, or Thematic Sequence” form (yellow). Fill this out either in 101 McGuffey Hall on the Oxford campus or in the main advising offices on either of the regional campuses.
  3. If unable to complete this through the previous two options, you may email Dr. Carolyn Slotten, Chief Departmental Advisor at and provide the following information:
    1. Do you want to declare Social Work as your first major or second major?
    2. Are you switching majors and therefore, dropping a previous major?
    3. Are you adding Social Work as a second major?
    4. Also, provide your Miami University plus number
    5. And your Miami University unique ID

Once this form has been processed, you will receive a welcome letter from the director of the social work program with the following attachments:

  • Handbook
  • Signature page (sign & return to 101 McGuffey after reading the Handbook)
  • Faculty Advising Assignment Sheet
  • Sample four-year program
  • Advising checklist

After reading the Social Work Handbook and accompanying materials, sign the signature page and return to 101 McGuffey Hall. Please feel free to contact us with any questions, concerns, or confusions. We look forward to being a part of your social work education journey!

For questions, please contact the director of the BSW program at