Frequently Asked Questions

Can I graduate in four years?

Yes. Miami’s graduation rate is among the highest in the country for major public institutions.

Our program is designed to be completed in four years when followed according to the program of study. Academic advisors will assist in your course selection and program planning. Be aware that changing your major, adding a second major or deviating from the planned program could lengthen your time for completion.

Can I combine a social work major with study abroad?

Yes. Miami is among the top 25 schools in the nation in the number of students who study abroad. Many students choose Miami’s Luxembourg campus for overseas study, but a variety of additional international opportunities exist. With early and careful planning many students are able to study abroad for a semester. Many summer options are also available.

Is it possible to complete the BSW program part time on a regional campus?

No. While many of the core social work courses are offered on the regional campuses, most of the junior year and all of senior year must be completed on the Oxford campus.

What are the job prospects for a BSW?

Overall employment of social workers is projected to grow 11 percent from 2018 to 2028, much faster than the average for all occupations, with the highest demand in healthcare, mental health and substance abuse areas. Majoring in social work provides students with many opportunities. Social workers provide the bulk of mental health services in the US. BSW graduates are employed in family service agencies, child welfare organizations, nursing homes, criminal justice agencies, and schools to name just a few. Clients may consist of individuals, families, groups, organizations or communities..

If I have further questions is there someone I can talk to before applying?

If you want more information about social work or want to discuss your application, please make an appointment to talk with a social work advisor by calling the Social Work Program Office, 513-529-3314. You may also email your questions to

FSW Registration Override

Submitting ROR requests

  1. Log in to the Course List to search for courses.
  2. To request a force add for FSW, click Submit Registration Override Request.
  • Rank in order of preference the sections you are willing to accept.
  • Provide a reason for the request. Be concise but include details, such as candidate for graduation, pre-req errors or major/minor/thematic needs.
  1. Submit your request. You will receive an email confirmation that your request has been received.

Deadlines to submit ROR requests

  • ROR requests are due by 5PM on the last business day before the start of the term. Any request submitted after this day may not be considered.
  • Until your request is reviewed and acted upon, it will remain in a pending status. You may edit or delete pending requests until the request submission deadline.

Timeline for review and action on ROR requests

  • The department will be considering requests at 2 times:
    • immediately after all first-round registration time tickets have passed
    • again at 2 weeks before the semester begins.
  • These will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, and you will be contacted through the ROR system if a spot is made available to you. Until then, plan as though you are not able to get into this section of the course.
  • You will receive an email notification whenever actions are taken on your request (submission, editing, deletion, approval, or denial.)
  • If there are conflicts (e.g. time conflicts, excess hours, etc.,) students must resolve them by 5PM on the first day of the term to be added to the course.

To check the status of your request at any time, log in to the Course List and click Requests. Please be patient, do not call or email the department.