Planning Your Move


Know which utilities are your responsibility. Check your lease or ask your landlord. Find out if the utilities will be turned on when you arrive. It is important to get the utilities turned on or transferred into tenants’ names. Some utilities have fees that you must pay in order to turn the service back on and a transfer of service can help you avoid these fees. Ask the landlord if it is possible to directly transfer the utilities to your name and avoid unnecessary fees.

In preparing for your move, it's typically best to call for utility set up a couple of weeks in advance, as many people will be trying to set up utilities in a short amount of time surrounding your move-in day. 

City of Oxford (Water, sewer, trash, and recycling)

Duke Energy (electric)

Glenwood Energy (natural gas)

Paying Utilities with Roommates

If you are in a house or apartment in which you are responsible for setting up and paying utilities, you may have to decide how you will split up the utility payments with your roommates in a way that is fair and doesn't burden any particular person. Students choose to handle this situation in many different ways. Regardless of how pay for utilities, ideally the utility bills will not all be in one person’s name. If someone does not pay his/her share of the bills one month, you do not want the burden to fall on the same person. In addition, setting up a utility bill in your name helps build credit, so take this opportunity to build your credit and learn how to pay bills on time.

Joint Account

One option is to set up a joint account between all roommates. All roommates should contribute an equal amount to the account at the beginning of the year or semester and then use the account to pay all utility bills. 

App / Website

There are several apps and sites that provide tracking, reminders, and easy payments between roommates. A quick web search should yield several options. These apps typically cost a small fee, but the convenience may be worth it for you and your roommates. 

Splitting Services

Some roommates decide to each take on one utility and then "settle up" at the end of each month. This method requires some additional trust in your roommates to get bills paid on time. 


All citizens of Oxford, including students, are expected to responsibly recycle as much waste material as possible. House units should use the red bin that is supplied by the City of Oxford. Apartment units should check with their property managers to find out if a recycling option is available. 

Curbside Recycling

Rumpke operates a curbside recycling program under contract with the City of Oxford. 

Use the Red Bin

Each residence with four units or fewer may recycle at the curb. Each unit in the residence should have a red bin for recycling. If a red bin is not left at your location, call the Oxford Utility Division at (513) 524-5221 to request one and they will deliver it to you. There is no additional fee for this service.

Important: Recycling containers belong to Rumpke Recycling and should be left at the residence when a customer moves out.

Pick-up Day

Recycling is collected on the same day as your household trash collection. Place the recycle bin near your garbage containers on your scheduled pickup day. If you have materials to recycle in excess of what fits in the bin, you may use a regular garbage containers if the word RECYCLE appears prominently on the container. For more information about trash collection in Oxford, see Trash and Litter

Acceptable Materials

  • Paper: newspaper, magazines, cardboard, computer paper, junk mail, envelopes, catalogs, cereal and dry food boxes, telephone books, pizza boxes (free of food and grease residue)
  • Plastic: #1 through #7 plastic bottles/jugs with lids from soda, milk, sport drinks, water, laundry detergent, contact solution, shampoo/conditioner, juice
  • Cans:aluminum, steel, and bi-metal cans from beverages, food, soup
  • Glass: bottles and jars from food and beverages

In general, these types of materials are acceptable in Rumpke Recycling's residential programs. For a comprehensive list of acceptable items visit Rumpke Recycling.

Non-Accceptable Materials

  • Oil jugs / plastic bags / film
  • Butter or Cool Whip containers / styrofoam
  • Paint cans / coat hangers / steel scrap
  • Window or drinking glass / broken glass / light bulbs

For assistance with trash problems, contact the Oxford Utilities Department at (513) 524-5221 or visit the City of Oxford's Curbside Recycling

Renters Insurance

While landlords and property managers will have their own insurance that protects the structure of the building/home, their insurance will not cover your personal property. You should consider renters insurance to replace your belongings if they are damaged or are stolen. 

Check with your auto insurance company or other insurance companies for a bundled price quote. You can also ask your parents to see if their homeowner’s insurance covers your property. Generally, renters insurance is very inexpensive - you can be covered for between $10 and $20 per month (often less than the cost of insuring your phone). 

What to Pack

Check back for a list of items you should consider packing as you move off campus.