History of Academic Support at Miami

Miami's learning center has been in operation for over 35 years. Listed below is a chronology of our history.

  • 1912 - Tutorial assistance provided to Miami students.
  • 1973 - First office established - Office of Developmental Education (ODE) funded by an Ohio Developmental Education Grant. This office functioned in conjunction with the Office of Minority Affairs and the Educational Opportunity Program. Services were restricted to qualifying students.
  • 1979 - Office of Developmental Education became a stand alone office. Services were still restricted to qualifying students defined by ODE grant.
  • 1980 - ODE began to assess fees for tutoring, thus expanding services to all Miami University students. The office moved from soft money to an income generating operation.
  • 1982 -1983 - ODE was renamed Office of Learning Assistance (OLA). A tutor training course was added (EDT 310 - Methods in Tutoring Adults).
  • 1988 - Learning Disabilities Services was added.
  • 1994 - Academic Support Program was added providing outreach to at-risk students.
  • 1997 - Scholastic Enhancement Program was merged with OLA.
  • 2000 - The office name was changed to The Bernard B. Rinella, Jr. Learning Center due to an endowment established by Bernard and Gloria Rinella in memory of their son Bernard Rinella, Jr.
  • 2009 - The Rinella Learning Center receives the Outstanding Learning Center Award from the National College Learning Center Association.
  • 2014 - Restructuring of Rinella and the creation of Student Disability Services.
  • 2014 - Launch of the Access Fellows Program.
  • 2017 - The office was relocated to the renovated Shriver Center.