Core Curriculum

Professor Teaching

Global Miami Plan

In addition to the specialized courses in their majors, all Miami students complete the Global Miami Plan for Liberal Education. More than job training for a specific career, the Global Miami Plan includes courses that help you develop mental agility and problem-solving ability to think for yourself and adapt to a changing world. A well-rounded education can help you explore a wide range of subjects and perhaps discover new interests and career possibilities.

Requirements of the Global Miami Plan

The Global Miami Plan comprises the following six parts.

Foundation Courses

The Foundation (MPF) requirement is met by taking a minimum of 27 semester hours of Foundation courses across five specific areas:

  • English Composition
  • Fine Arts, Humanities, Social Science
  • Global Perspectives
  • Natural Science
  • Mathematics, Formal Reasoning, Technology

Thematic Sequence (MPT)

The Thematic Sequence requirement is met by completing related courses (at least nine hours) in an approved Thematic Sequence outside your department of major. This requirement can also be fulfilled by a second major or a minor outside your department of major.

Advanced Writing Course

The Advanced Writing Course requirement is fulfilled by completing three hours in an approved advanced writing course. These courses are typically at the 200–300 level and focus on writing instruction.

Experiential Learning

This requirement carries no specific credit hour minimum and can be fulfilled by coursework, service learning, independent study, internships, student teaching, performance, or portfolio projects.

Intercultural Perspectives

This requirement is fulfilled by completing three hours in an approved Intercultural Perspectives course.

Capstone Course (MPC)

In your final year of study, you must take a minimum of three hours in an approved Capstone course, which serves to meld your broad, liberal learning with the specialized knowledge of your major. It could take the form of a workshop, research seminar, individual or group project, or creative work in a studio, laboratory, or field study.

The Global Miami Plan includes about 30 percent of your courses; the remaining 70 percent are courses for your major, divisional requirements, and electives.