Professor & Research Fellow of the Scripps Gerontology Center
- Campus: Oxford
- Office: 3044
- Phone: 513.529.6180
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- On Research Leave
* Accessible version of PDF available upon request.
- Ph.D. Rutgers University, Economics, 2008
- M.A. Rutgers University, Economics, 2004
- B.S. King's College, Economics, 2002
Academic & Professional Experience
- Professor of Economics, Department of Economics, Farmer School of Business, Miami University (2019-Present)
- Research Fellow, Scripps Gerontology Center, Miami University (2010-Present).
- Professor (Courtesy Appointment), School of Aging, University of South Florida (2019-Present)
- Academic Affiliate, The Brattle Group (2014-Present)
- Special Consultant, Economists, Inc. (2013-Present)
- Associate Professor of Economics, Department of Economics, Farmer School of Business, Miami University (2014-2019).
- Endres Associate Professor Fellow, Farmer School of Business, Miami University (2017-2019).
- Assistant Professor of Economics, Department of Economics, Farmer School of Business, Miami University (2008-2014).
- Research Economist, Princeton Economics Group (2007-2008).
- Instructor, Department of Economics, Rutgers University (2003-2008).
- Graduate Research Assistant, Institute for Health and Health Care Policy and Aging Research, Rutgers University (2003-2008).
- Understanding Nursing Home Spending and Staff Levels in the Context of Recent Nursing Staff Recommendations. Bowblis JR, Brunt CS, Xu H, Grabowski DC. Health Affairs, forthcoming.
- The Need for an Economically Feasible Nursing Home Staffing Benchmark: Evaluating an Acuity-Based Nursing Staff Benchmark. 2022. Bowblis JR. Innovation in Aging 6(4):1-11.
- The Effect on Dental Care Utilization from Transitioning Pediatric Medicaid Beneficiaries to Managed Care. Nasseh, K., Bowblis JR. 2022. Health Economics 31(6): 1103-1128.
- Changing Landscape of Nursing Homes Serving Residents with Dementia and Mental Illness. 2022. Xu H, Intrator O, Culakova E, Bowblis JR. Health Services Research 57(3): 505-514.
- Nursing Home Care Under Medicaid Managed Long-term Services and Supports. 2021. Potter A, Bowblis JR. Health Services Research 56(6): 1179-89.
- Decomposing Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Nursing Home Quality of Life. 2021. Bowblis JR, Ng W, Akosionu O, Shippee TP. Journal of Applied Gerontology 40(9): 1051-61.
- Occupational Licensing of Social Services and Nursing Home Quality: A Regression Discontinuity Approach. 2021. Bowblis JR, Smith A. Industrial and Labor Relations Review 74(1): 199-223.
- Cost-effective Adjustments to Nursing Home Staffing to Improve Quality. 2020. Bowblis JR, Roberts A. Medical Care Research and Review 77(3): 274-284.
- Research: Applied Microeconometrics, Industrial Organization, Health Economics, Antitrust
- Teaching: Econometrics, Industrial Organization, Antitrust, and Health Economics
Dr. John R. Bowblis is a Professor of Economics in the Farmer School of Business and a Research Fellow with the Scripps Gerontology Center. He received his doctorate degree from Rutgers University in 2008 before joining the faculty at Miami University in the same year. Prior to joining the faculty at Miami, Dr. Bowblis worked for Princeton Economics Group, a litigation and antitrust consulting firm.
Dr. Bowblis’ scholarly writings focus on better understanding how markets develop, how competitors interact with each other in a market, and how public policy may affect how markets operate. In addition to teaching and research, Dr. Bowblis provides expert economic analysis in complex business litigation.
- ON RESEARCH LEAVE