At its May 14 business meeting, Miami University’s board of trustees congratulated the Class of 2021 as nearly 4,800 graduates, along with some members of the Class of 2020, participated in commencement ceremonies held May 13 - May 16.
President Gregory Crawford recognized NBA executive and basketball icon Wayne Embry (Miami ‘58) and his late wife, Theresa “Terri” Embry (Miami ‘60), who will receive the Freedom Summer of ‘64 Award at 11 a.m. Tuesday, May 18, outside the main entrance of Millett Hall. A statue capturing Embry’s likeness and signature hook shot will be unveiled after the ceremony.
During the meeting, several members of Miami’s faculty and staff were given emerita/emeritus status.
- Faculty members receiving Professor Emerita status include
- Mary Harris (music),
- Thelma Horn (sport leadership and management),
- Jacquelyn Rahman (English),
- Shubharsee “Sree” Subedi (social and behavioral science)
- Margaret Ziolkowski (German, Russian, Asian & Middle Eastern languages and cultures).
- Faculty members receiving Professor Emeritus status include
- Larry Collins (art),
- R. Hays Cummins (Western program and geography),
- C. Lee Harrington (sociology and gerontology),
- Gregory Phillips (music),
- Robert Wicks (art museum)
- Staff members receiving Administrator Emerita are Cynthia Collins (art museum) and Susan Hershberger (Center for Chemistry Education).
- Staff members receiving Administrator Emeritus are Gerald Steelman (Regional Dean’s office), Perry Richardson (Regional Development), Mark DeGennaro (Art Museum).
Two faculty members were honored with the appointment to University Distinguished Professor: Lisa Ellram (management) and Gary Lorigan (chemistry and biochemistry), to begin retroactively with the 2019-2020 academic year.
Trustees passed a resolution of appreciation for Michael Curme, who demonstrated loyalty and outstanding service to Miami through his teaching, research and administrative duties through the years. Curme will be retiring after a distinguished career that included being a tenured member of the Economics Department, an Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs in the Farmer School of Business, and from 2013-2018 as an Associate Vice President and Dean of Students.
In business news, trustees
- Established a new degree, bachelor of arts in arts management, and a new major in arts entrepreneurship, both within the College of Creative Arts.
- Approved the naming of DeLaet Family Multi-Bed Skills Lab to be located in the Clinical Health Sciences and Wellness Facility now under construction with a completion date of 2023.
- Authorized grant agreements that provide funding for eligible safety and facility improvement projects for Miami University’s General Aviation Airport.
- Trustees also appointed Dinish Paliwal as a National Trustee for a three-year term beginning June 1, 2021, and ending May 31, 2024.