Karen Davis, Ph.D.
- Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Louisiana, 1990
- M.S., Computer Science, University of Louisiana, 1987
- B.S., Computer Science, Loyola University, 1985
- Database design and conceptual modeling
- Query languages and optimization
- Data warehouses
- NoSQL databases
- Computing education
Dr. Karen C. Davis joined the Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering in 2017. Her research and teaching interests include data modeling, query optimization, and computing education. She has published more than 100 refereed publications in conference proceedings, journals, and book chapters, most of which are co-authored with students.
The rapidly growing opportunities to collect and store vast amounts of data make it difficult to obtain meaningful results to user queries, especially when the information is contained in different formats and may be redundant or overlapping. Dr. Davis is interested in data integration across heterogeneous models, including both traditional structured data models and emerging semi-structured data models for big data processing. Modeling, maintenance, and performance of such systems are her research focus.
Dr. Davis received a B.S. degree in Computer Science from Loyola University, New Orleans in 1985 and an M.S. and Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Louisiana, Lafayette in 1987 and 1990, respectively.
- Professor (7/22), Associate Professor (8/17), Computer Science and Software Engineering Department, Miami University.
- Professor (9/08), Associate Professor (9/97), Associate Department Head (9/99-6/03), Electrical & Computer Engineering Department, University of Cincinnati.
- Visiting Associate Professor, Division of Pediatric Informatics, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center.
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Mathematical Sciences Department, University of Akron.
Selected Professional Service
- Associate Editor: Data and Knowledge Engineering
- Reviewer for selected journals: Information Systems, Transactions on Large-Scale Data- and Knowledge-Centered Systems, Journal of Knowledge and Information Systems, International Journal of Data Warehouse and Mining, ACM Transactions on Database Systems, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Data and Knowledge Engineering, Computers & Education Journal, ACM Transactions on Computing Education
- Program committee member for selected conferences: International Conference on Conceptual Modelling (ER), International Workshop on Design, Optimization, Languages, and Analytical Processing of Big Data (DOLAP), International Conference on Big Data Analytics and Knowledge Discovery (DaWaK)
- Advisor: ACM-W student chapter at Miami University
Honors and Awards
- Miami University MAC Award for Outstanding Faculty Award for Student Success, 2021
- ACM Senior Member.
- IEEE Senior Member.
- University of Cincinnati Faculty Mentoring Award (one per college), 2017.
- CEAS Engineering Tribunal Professor of the Year, University of Cincinnati, Spring 2017 (selected by students)
- American Society for Engineering Education Sharon Keillor Award, outstanding female engineering educator (1 in the US), 2016
- CEAS Master Educator Award, University of Cincinnati, 2016
- Dean's Award for Faculty Excellence (a provost award, 2 per college), University of Cincinnati, 2016
- Ricardo, C.M., Urban, S.D., and K.C. Davis, Databases Illuminated, Jones & Bartlett Learning, Burlington, MA, USA, 4th edition, 2022.
- Martin, B., and K.C. Davis, "Healthcare Workload Modeling for Multi-temperate Logical Data Warehouse Design," Big Data Research Journal, Vol. 25, July 2021; available online: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bdr.2021.100255.
- Cai, M., Yazdi, M.A.A., Mehdizadeh, A., Hu, Q., Vinel, A., Davis, K., Xian, H., Megahed, F.M., and S.E. Rigdon, "Hierarchical Point Process Models for Recurring Safety Critical Events Involving Commercial Truck Drivers: A Reliability Framework for Human Performance Modeling," Journal of Quality Technology, 2021; available online: https://doi.org/10.1080/00224065.2021.1939815.
- Trujillo, J., Davis, K.C., Du, X., Damiani, E., and V.C. Storey, "Conceptual Modeling in the Era of Big Data and Artificial Intelligence: Research Topics and Introduction to the Special Issue," Data & Knowledge Engineering, Vol. 135, 2021.
- Stahr, L.C., and K.C. Davis "Effective Shifting of Software Capstone Demonstrations to an Online Experience," Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 48, No. 1, 2021.
- Janga, P. and K.C. Davis, "A Grammar-based Approach for XML Schema Extraction and Heterogeneous Document Integration," International Journal of Data Mining, Modelling and Management, Vol. 11, No. 3, 2019.
- Krishna Karthik Gadiraju, Manik Verma, Karen C. Davis, and Paul G. Talaga, "Benchmarking Performance for Migrating a Relational Application to a Parallel Implementation," Future Generation Computer Systems, Elsevier, Vol. 63, October 2016, pp. 148–156.
- Davis, K.C., "Examining the Efficacy of Exam Wrappers in a Computer Science Course," Proceedings of the ASEE 2021 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition, Long Beach, CA, USA, June 27-30, 2021.
- Davis, K.C., and J. Zanillo, "Ethics in Data Science Education," Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition, Montreal, Canada, June 21-24, 2020.
- Davis, K.C., "Teaching Database Querying in the Cloud," Proceedings of the IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE), Cincinnati, OH, USA, October 16-19, 2019.
- Rajendra, K.R., Parrish, A., Impagliazzo, J., Romanowski, C.J., Aly, S.G., Bennett, C.C., Davis, K.C., McGettrick, A., Pereira, T.S.M., and L. Sundin., "An Empirical Approach to Data Science and Data Engineering Education," Proceedings of Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education, ITiCSE '19, July 15-17, 2019, Aberdeen, Scotland, UK.
- Davis, K.C., "Creating Guided Study Exercises for a Flipped Database Course," Proceedings of the ASEE 126th International Conference and Exposition, Tampa, FL, USA, June 16-19, 2019.
- Davis, K.C., Marshall, B., and L. Affonso, "Data Modeling for Undergraduate Data Science": (abstract only), Proceedings of the 49th ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE '18), Baltimore, MD, USA, February 21-24, 2018.
- Davis, K.C., "Teaching Physical Database Design," Proceedings of the Conceptual Modeling Education Symposium, 37th International Conference on Conceptual Modeling (ER), Xi'an, China, October 22-25, 2018; published in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, No. 11158.
- Davis, K.C., and F.R. Beyette, Jr., "Developing and Assessing Elevator Pitches in Capstone Design," Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition, Columbus, OH, June 25-28, 2017.
- Raghavendra, A., and K.C. Davis, "Performance Evaluation of Analytical Queries on a Stand-alone and Sharded Document Store," Proceedings of the 19th International Workshop on Design, Optimization, Languages and Analytical Processing of Big Data (DOLAP), co-located with EDBT/ICDT, Venice, Italy, March 21, 2017.
- Aggarwal, D., and K.C. Davis, "Employing Graph Databases as a Standardization Model towards Addressing Heterogeneity," Proceedings of the IEEE 17th International Conference Information Reuse and Integration (IRI), Pittsburgh, PA, July 28-30, 2016.