Muhammad Jahan, Ph.D.
- Postdoctoral studies, Mechanical Engineering, University of Arkansas, 2012
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore, 2009
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, 2004
- Micro and nano-machining processes
- Conventional & non-conventional manufacturing processes
- SPM based nano-machining and nano-patterning
- Laser machining/welding and surface modification
Dr. Muhammad Jahan is an Associate Professor in the Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering (MME) department at Miami University. Dr. Jahan received his BS and PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) and National University of Singapore (NUS) in 2004 and 2010, respectively. Dr. Jahan then worked at Makino Asia Pte Ltd, a well-known manufacturer of CNC milling and EDM machine tools, for about a year. Prior to starting his tenure track Assistant Professor position in 2012, he worked as a Postdoctoral Research Associate at the Institute of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering at the University of Arkansas. He joined Miami University in 2016 after serving 4 years at the Western Kentucky University (WKU). Dr. Jahan also served as the Graduate Program Director in the MME department from January, 2020 to July, 2023.
Dr. Jahan’s research interests are in the areas of non-traditional manufacturing processes, sustainable manufacturing, post-processing of additively manufactured parts, hybrid additive-subtractive manufacturing, and micro and mano manufacturing processes. Dr. Jahan’s research has been supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF), NSF-KY EPSCoR, Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE), Ohio Space Grant Consortium (OSGC), LAM Research Corporation, M K Morse Company, Bullen Ultrasonics, Nazarbayev University, Western Kentucky University, and Miami University.
Dr. Jahan has received a total of over $1.77M grants as PI and co-PI. He has published over 130 journal and conference articles, and 20 book chapters. He received four ‘Best Paper Award’s including the ‘Outstanding Paper Award’ from the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) at the prestigious North American Manufacturing Research Conference in June, 2012 (NAMRC 2012).
Dr. Jahan is an active member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME), and the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE). He served in the Technical and Scientific Committees of ASME and SME in the past. He served as the Track Co-Chair (2019-2021) and Track Chair (2022) for the ‘Advanced Manufacturing Track’ of the ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition (IMECE). He is currently serving as the Track Co-Chair of the ‘Material Removal Track’ of the SME (2020 – 2024). He is also serving as an Associate Editor of the Prestigious SME Journal of Manufacturing Processes (2022-2025).
Years of Service on this Faculty
- Associate Professor, 2021-Present
- Assistant Professor, 2016-2021
- 2012-2016 Assistant Professor, Western Kentucky University
- 2010-2012 Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Arkansas
- 2009-2010 R&D Engineer, Makino Asia Pte Ltd, Singapore
- 2005-2009 Research Scholar, National University of Singapore
- 2002 Internship Engineer, Bangladesh Machine Tools Factory Limited (BMTF Ltd.)
Scientific and Professional Societies
Honors and Awards
- Expert Educator Team (EET) member (invited) for the LIFT manufacturing institute, the APLU, and the NCMS, 2017-2018
- Miami University "Committee on Faculty Research Award" - December 2017
- Best Paper Award ICAMT 2016 Conference, Oct 7-8, 2016, Venice, Italy, October 2016
- Prolific Proposer Award, Office of Sponsored Program & Research, WKU, 2015.
- Early Investigator Award, Office of Sponsored Program & Research, WKU, 2015.
- Best Paper Award, ATMAE Annual Conference, St. Louis, MO, 2014.
- NSF MRI Award, 2014
- Outstanding Paper Award, North American Manufacturing Research Conference (NAMRC 40), June 2012
- A.M. Strickland Prize, for best paper published in the Proceedings of IMechE, London, 2010.
- JUÁN DE LA CIERVA research grant, Ministry of Science and Innovation, Spain, 2010.
- "Micro Electrical Discharge Machining Processes-Technologies and Applications" (Editors: G. Kibria, M.P. Jahan, B. Bhattacharyya), Springer Nature, 2018.
- "Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM): Types, Technologies and Applications" (Editor: M.P. Jahan), Nova Science Publishers, NY, USA, 2015.
Book Chapters (Selected)
- Roan Kirwin, Aakash Niraula, Chong Liu, Landon Kovach and Muhammad P. Jahan, Optimization of Electric Discharge Machining Based Processes, Chapter 3, pp. 29-63. In "Optimization of Manufacturing Processes" (Editor: Kapil Gupta and Munish Kumar Gupta), Springer International Publishing, AG, 2020.
- M.P. Jahan, "Electro-Discharge Machining" Chapter 16, pp. 377-410. "Modern Manufacturing Processes" (Editors: Muammer Koc, Tuğrul Özel), Wiley, 2019.
- Aakash Niraula, Ashutosh Khatri and Muhammad P. Jahan, Graphene as Nanolubricant for Machining, In "Graphene in Energy, Healthcare and Environmental Applications", Chapter 2, pp. 27 - 48, Volume 5, Handbook on the Graphene Materials (Editor: Cengiz Ozkan and Umit Ozkan), WILEY-Scrivener Publisher, USA, 2019
- Ann M. Rumsey, M. P. Jahan, Micromachining of Aluminum Alloys, in "Encyclopedia of Aluminum and Its Alloys", Vol. 2, pp. 1557-1591, Editors George E. Totten, Olaf Kessler and Murat Tiryakioglu, Taylor and Francis, 2018.
- Rashef Mahbub and M.P. Jahan, Micromachining of Titanium Alloys, Chapter 3, pp. 33 - 63, "Micro and Nano Machining of Engineering Materials - Recent Developments", Editor: Prof. K. Kumar, Springer Nature, 2018
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles (Selected)
- M.P. Jahan, Jianfeng Ma, Craig Hanson, G.K. Arbuckle, Tool wear and resulting surface finish during micro slot-milling of polycarbonates using uncoated and coated carbide tools, Journal of Engineering Manufacture, Volume: 234 issue: 1-2, page(s): 52-65, 2020.
- Ashutosh Khatri, Muhammd P. Jahan, Jianfeng Ma, Assessment of tool wear and microstructural alteration of the cutting tools in conventional and sustainable slot milling of Ti-6Al-4V alloy, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Volume 105, Issue 7–8, pp 2799–2814, 2019
- M.P. Jahan, F. Alavi, A Study on the Surface Composition and Migration of Materials and their Effect on Surface Microhardness During Micro-EDM of Ti-6Al-4V, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 28(6), 3517-3530, 2019.
- M.P. Jahan, Asma Perveen, Ann M. Rumsey, A Review on the Conventional, Non-conventional, and Hybrid Micromachining of Glass, Machining Science and Technology, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 264 - 338, 2019.
- N. Duong, V. K. Kore, J. Ma, S. Lei, M. P. Jahan, M. Sundaram, Damage Evolution in Vibration Assisted Nano Impact Machining by Loose Abrasives at Elevated Temperatures: A Numerical Study, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 47, 357-366, 2019.
Peer-reviewed Conference Articles (Selected)
- Chong Liu, Asif Rashid, Muhammad P. Jahan, Jianfeng Ma, Machining of High Aspect Ratio Micro-holes in Titanium Alloy Using Silver Nano Powder Mixed Micro-EDM, Proceedings of the ASME 2019 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE 2019). November 11-14, Salt Lake City, UT, USA.
- Chong Liu, Asif Rashid, Muhammad P. Jahan, Jianfeng Ma, Investigating the Micro-EDM Machinability of Bulk Metallic Glass in Micro-EDM Drilling, Proceedings of the ASME 2019 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE 2019). November 11-14, Salt Lake City, UT, USA.
- Craig Hanson, Pratik Hiwase, Xingbang Chen, Muhammad P. Jahan, Jianfeng Ma and Greg Arbuckle, Experimental investigation and numerical simulation of burr formation in micro-milling of polycarbonates, 46th North American Manufacturing Research Conference (NAMRC 2019), June 10-14, 2019, Erie, PA, USA. Published in Procedia Manufacturing 34, 293-304.
- Chong Liu, Nick Duong, Muhammad P. Jahan, Jianfeng Ma and Roan Kirwin, Experimental investigation and numerical simulation of micro-EDM of bulk metallic glass with focus on surface finish, 46th North American Manufacturing Research Conference (NAMRC 2019), June 10-14, 2019, Erie, PA, USA. Published in Procedia Manufacturing 34, 275-286.
- Ashutosh Khatri, Muhammad P. Jahan, Xingbang Chen, Jianfeng Ma, Investigating Microstructural Changes and Phase Transformation During Slot Milling of Ti-6Al-4V in Dry, Flood Coolant and MQL Conditions, Proceedings of the ASME 2019 14th InternationalManufacturing Science and Engineering Conference (MSEC 2019), June 10-14, 2019, Erie, PA, USA.