Excellence and Expertise Student Success

FSB student wins PCAOB scholarship

A Farmer School accountancy student has been awarded a $10,000 scholarship

Marissa Rodriguez head shot

FSB student wins PCAOB scholarship

A Farmer School accountancy major has received a prestigious scholarship from the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board. Sophomore Marissa Rodriguez was named a PCAOB Scholar

Awarded since 2011, the PCAOB scholarships come from an unusual funding source. The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 created the PCAOB to oversee the audits of public companies and other issuers in order to protect the interests of investors and further the public interest in the preparation of informative, accurate and independent audit reports. Part of the act’s mandate requires that monetary penalties imposed in PCAOB disciplinary proceedings be used to fund a merit scholarship program for students in accredited accounting degree programs.

"I'm quite honored to be selected for the PCAOB Scholar award and to represent Miami University's Accountancy Program. I was shocked to find out I was chosen to receive this award out of the numerous talented and successful students at Miami, and I'm blessed to have been nominated and awarded this scholarship,” Rodriguez said. “I'm thankful for God who organized this all to unfold, the staff at Miami University's Department of Accountancy for their generous support, Professor Dale Stoel for first telling me the news and working with me to finalize the scholarship, Professor Beth Killy, Professor Eric Marinich, and Professor Amanda Pyzoha for teaching me all that I know about accounting thus far, and the hard workers at PCAOB and their contributors for granting me the PCAOB Scholar award. This would not have been possible without them and I greatly appreciate all of their effort in making this a reality.” 

Those nominated for the award must demonstrate interest and aptitude in accounting and auditing as evidenced by an overall GPA of 3.3 or higher or being in the top 1/3 of their overall class and must demonstrate high ethical standards.