Miami is committed to providing equal opportunities for people with disabilities and, as such, is proactive in its efforts to comply with federal laws such as Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, and the ADA Amendments of 2009.
As confirmation of this commitment, Student Disability Services (SDS) provides support services, accommodations and resources to ensure equal access to education, employment, and University life. Furthermore, it is the mission of the SDS Office to advance and sustain an environment of internal equity, diversity & inclusiveness for all members of the University community.
SDS will fulfill its commitment with compassion, understanding and fairness to all parties involved and act as a resource for all University offices.
Things You Can Do To Foster An Inclusive Environment
- Use “people first” language
- Treat ALL individuals with respect
- Offer assistance but respect “no”
- Communicate directly with the individual with a disability, not through others
- Think in terms of “universal design”
- Make referrals to SDS when appropriate
- Report incidents of harassment/discrimination
- Advocate for access issues in your area